Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ANACS Conservation Before And After

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 218Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  5:06 pm Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One $39 fee for the whole batch. Up to 20. I only posted pics of significant improvement. I sent in a lot of modern proof coins where I wanted that little bit of edge toning taken off before encapsulation.

The most dramatic difference was on the Churchill Spink and Sons silver medal. I didn't even know it was a proof until it came back. Pics don't do the proof areas justice. Much better in person.

The East German commemorative to the Brandenburg Gate opening was also vastly improved. Since the fall of the Berlin wall spelled the end of East Germany, this was the last coin made by them. Quality of the packaging was horrible. The plastic capsule was brittle and cracked in many places. Leading to toning you just don't want on a proof. But the proof is rare enough, it was worth conserving.

Also had a NZ coin with what I thought was artificial toning.

Edited by Lancek
02/22/2021 5:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54844 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty impressive!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14877 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excuse my ignorance , but could all of those been done with a quick silver dip .Then again can you dip proof coins ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!! They look great!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4590 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic improvements all!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've dipped inexpensive proof coins just to see. Crappy results. Sometimes seems to add more spots than you take off. Any proofs of value, or even low value but important to me, I'll let the pros handle. I probably could have done the Morgan and the Onza myself. But with the same price whether I conserve 1 or 20, might as well send 20. Or in this case,17. The most I could dig up that could benefit. And that included the Onza and one other coin I ordered recently. Knowing I would be sending a batch in for conservation.

I was worried that with shipping delays, those last two coins might not arrive in time. Emailed ANACS. They said they would extend the deadline for me in that situation. Just had to include that email with my submission. Last two coins arrived in time, so I didn't need to. But cool that they offered.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should mention, I had to get a little forceful with them this time. The first time the coins came back it looked like maybe only one had been conserved. I emailed customer service, who got in contact with the grader. They claimed more had been conserved. But nowhere on their paperwork did it say which ones. That's info they have always included in the past.

The person I emailed said, since many collectors like toning, they only conserve the ones I specifically indicate. Also not the way it has been in the past. In fact I have been told just the opposite. If I check the Conserve box, and pay the $39, then I should indicate in the notes any that I DON'T want conserved.

It was close to 5 on a Friday. I knew if I didn't get better resolution to my issue I would stew about it all weekend. So I called in. Talked to Paul in customer service. He understood my point. Agreed that if I checked Conserve, they all should be, unless I say otherwise. He said send the whole batch back. And include 5 additional coins that they would grade for free.

When they arrived the second time, it was like Christmas in Feb. All slightly or vastly improved. Results like I had gotten from the 2 or 3 other batches I had sent for conservation over the years. The Churchill medal had been graded an MS 67. They didn't even realize it was a proof. Info on the medal is hard to come by. I researched it a lot before I sent it in and couldn't find much. Removing the ugly toning and gunk may have revealed a few more flaws. Or maybe they just grade proofs with a little more scrutiny. So I lost a point, but gained a proof. Net win in my book.

Doesn't really matter since I never plan on selling that medal. But I now have something I enjoy looking at and showing off. Before when I looked at it I just thought, "Awww, too bad that wasn't stored properly over the years."

Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Talk about incredible results! That Churchill conservation blows me away, a proof under there! Who knew

The only one I wouldn't have conserved is that Berlin medal, I thought the color was pretty and not distracting, but even still, their conservation did a great job on it
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05