Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have A 1928 Wheat Back Penny - Possible New Error

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 535Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  8:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Riki to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this penny that is driving me crazy. Any help would be much appreciated. I have a 1928 no mint mark wheat back penny. There are two things the line strike under the 2 & 8 and the "W" We seems large.

Edited by Riki
02/23/2021 10:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3610 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post full photos of the coin--obverse and reverse. Large, sharp photos at high resolution. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50120 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the motto devices are weaker either from circulation. If the tops of the devices are showing an enlargement there, that could be die wear. But that area looks normal. Check to see if the area below the 28 is attached or something is just one the coin. The right edge of the lower '8' looks like it took a hit there. If the area is attached, it might be a die crack trailing off the '2'?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55923 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get an even larger close-up of that date area?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3610 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While this plays out, on the reverse I see evidence of a woody.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi thank you for the invite. Are you asking for a closer date then original?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55923 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try cropping the original close-up of the date and enlarging it.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a quick scan of sites that list errors and varieties and did not see something quite like this for 1928. Hard to say how unique this is and whether it adds value or scares off buyers. Sure is interesting, though!

and stay well!
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope that was a better image of the date. I know I have been looking for and answer and I can not find one. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get answers. So far no one has seen it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3055 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little help from your friends
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Keith! I need all the help I can get from friends! #128515;#128516;
Pillar of the Community
United States
1067 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

That line under the 2 8, is it a protrusion or a depression? if the light source is coming from the top right, it looks like a depression to me. Look at the shadows on the 9,2, and 8. The dark shadows are at the bottom left. With the bar the shadow appears to be on top and merges with the 8's shadow.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a protrusion not a indent
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05