Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited A Mcmurdo Antarctica $10 Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 282Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  04:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mobius1080 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings. I'm hoping to get some help. I have inherited a Mc Murdo $10 coin but I can't seem to find info on how "collectible it is" It appears to be an original strike because it measures 25.5mm and the restrikes were 25mm.

Its in mint condition. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great, all I can find is all the information about the coin itself.

FYI, this is not the picture of my coin, just a good reference to what I have

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3448 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, neat!

I have a few coins from British Antarctic Territory, and vaguely heard of a French Antarctic Territory issue. I didn't know that any other Antarctic areas issued coins.
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5209 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station from 1 November 1968 to mid-February 1969 (their summer).
The station was run by the US Navy; they did the logistics and support for our weather and scientific research.
I was a Meteorological Technician (weather observer) working for ESSA Weather Bureau (the predecessor of NOAA) and in conjunction with the National Science Foundation.
The McMurdo "coin" didn't exist at the time and probably makes money for someone.
Currency (and stamps) for McMurdo and other US bases in Antarctica were standard US issues.

No country "owns" any part of the Antarctic continent.
The British Antarctic Territory and maybe the French Antarctic Territory are islands found around Antarctica.

"Antarctic Treaty, (Dec. 1, 1959), agreement signed by 12 nations, in which the Antarctic continent was made a demilitarized zone to be preserved for scientific research. The treaty resulted from a conference in Washington, D.C., attended by representatives of Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Britain, Chile, France, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, the United States, and the Soviet Union. Later other nations acceded to the treaty.

The treaty did not deny or support national claims to territorial sovereignty in Antarctica, but it did forbid all contracting parties from establishing military bases, carrying on military maneuvers, testing any weapons (including nuclear weapons), or disposing of radioactive wastes in the area. The treaty encouraged the freedom of scientific investigation and the exchange of scientific information and personnel in Antarctica. The treaty bound its members indefinitely, with a review of its provisions possible after 30 years. A protocol to the 1959 treaty was signed in 1991. The agreement banned mineral and oil exploration for 50 years and included regulations for the protection of the Antarctic environment."
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
02/24/2021 2:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1138 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was in A school we called AG's "weather guessers".
By chance was your training at Lakehurst like mine was?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3448 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
Could you please link to the original, so that I could post my reply there as well? It was intended for both.
Learn More...
Australia
13582 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not an official coin, but a privately made coin-like medal; as it has a purported denomination on it, it would qualify as a "fantasy coin". Here's the NGC page for it, which uses data taken from the Krause "Unusual World Coins" catalogue of fantasy, unofficial and other dubiously coin-like non-coins.

As for the OP's question on how "collectable" it is: as an unofficial coin, it will generally have less collector interest and demand than an actual official coin. Because there's no such thing as actual "coins from Antarctica", some collectors might be interested in buying an item like this, to "fill the hole" for Antarctica in their One From Every Country list, but most coin collectors will shun such pieces once they realise they are unofficial non-government-issued pieces and not listed in the mainstream coin catalogues. I, personally, would not choose to buy one. You can see from the NGC page, it's given a catalogue value of US$75.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3448 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Because there's no such thing as actual "coins from Antarctica"
I think the British Antarctic Territory coins are technically official? I surely would have been interested in any more such exotic items if I found and could afford them, though!
Learn More...
Australia
13582 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's true, the coins issued in the name of the BAT are "legal tender" under the authority of the territory, though as the Territory is not internationally recognized, not even by the British government as a signatory to the Antarctic treaty, one does wonder what "legality" such coins actually have.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could you please link to the original, so that I could post my reply there as well? It was intended for both.
http://goccf.com/t/377395
Pillar of the Community
United States
5209 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I was in A school we called AG's "weather guessers".
By chance was your training at Lakehurst like mine was?

Nope.
I was Army so my first school was at Ft. Monmouth, NJ.
Then they sent me to the Air Force school at Chanute, AFB, Illinois.
But I did take the Aerographer's Mate correspondence course from somewhere in NY if I recall correctly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5209 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scotia, NY, as I recall.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 282Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05