Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896 1 Cent Which Is A Far?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 909Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1008 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember well the initial find and the discussions. Confusingly, after that one or two other dies came to light with the 6 just as far out there as the initial find. As you say, ICCS chose to stop certifying Far 6s at that point. PCGS began certifying the two or three dies that were way out there (minus the occasional mistake like the 65 brown). I really have no problem with PCGS doing so, since more than one die struck coins with the six about equally as far out as the initial find. I don't think there is any right or wrong here. Nor do I see the big attraction with this variety, since as you pointed out, each 1896 die had the six in a different spot.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3494 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, Rob and have no problem with PCGS cert'ing them according to their specific dictates that accurately delineate the actual variety. It was from all discussions that many of us had after the first ICCS cert that the far 6 variety was not as uncommon as we initially thought. After the 2011 Charlton with the Vicky variety guide, I don't think that there a collector who didn't have 2-3 of them. Dealers and Ebay sellers started putting far 6 on many holders as they could find. I certainly no longer agree with the 5X value that we put on it, although higher UNC grades are quite scarce.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2079 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this coin has some serious cracks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2079 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner question can tell me is there anymore. than 2 styles of queen Victoria hair. I have 2 different types of hair bun styles. this is for the 1876 H pennies. I have one obverse OC1. the other coin not quit sure yet. I was wondering is there 2 different. obverse for this year. thank you okiecoiner if you can help. again thank you
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3494 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never studied or looked at the hair on 1876's. It is probably just a factor of how crisp a strike and how new the die. However, ALL 1876's for circulation were Obv 1's. The 1876 specimens (with no H) were struck as Obv 1A. I was not aware of any significant differences between the portraits on 1's and 1a's except the neck truncation and angle. Without going back to bosox's Dies and Diadems, I don't know if any of the "specimen" Obv dies were used for circulation strikes. I personally have never seen an 1876 Obv 1a circulation coin and I've looked at 10's of thousands.
Edited by okiecoiner
03/05/2021 08:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2079 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner thank you so much for that information. I just checked a bunch of 1897s okiecoiner. I want to share a few picture with you. I want to show you 2 varieties in the 1897s. I would like to know your thoughts. the differences are not great but different size letters and spacing has to mean something.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2079 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner I want to explain see this way you can help me learn how to use that die catalogue. I hoping thank you so much
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3494 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't need pictures of any of your coins, Rocky, and your reference to a "die catalogue" is not familiar to me. I know of many very nicely offset varieties in the 1897's and really don't need to see any more, but others on this site might enjoy them. You mentioned some different size letters and numbers .... just remember that many of the 19th century dies that were used had handpunched digits because the hubs were used for more than one striking year.

I would have serious doubts about different size letters that weren't caused by strike crispness or tired dies. I'll be glad to help you if you wish, the same as I do with anyone who has a question or problem, but please go easy on the 80-100X magnifications and highly reflective lighting. And, please start a new thread if the info will deal with 1897's and NOT the 1896 far's!
Edited by okiecoiner
03/06/2021 07:06 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2079 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner thank you so much. I appreciate all your help. yes Okiecoiner I am going to try to find away to get videos up. I am going to see if I can sink a video enough to fit here. if not I may have to load videos to youtube. I could do it that way. see videos I will show you guys what happens when you populate between 2 images. there is nothing that is not uncovered. right down to the fines detail. I hope I can show you that. thank you for all your help.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 909Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05