Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The St. Patrick Copper Coinage Of New Jersey

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 554Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  6:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - St. Patrick is an iconic figure in popular culture, but he's more than just a merry mascot of the eponymous Irish-themed holiday celebrated on March 17. He was a real person born in Roman Britain who lived in the fifth century as a Christian missionary and became a bishop in Ireland. His religious feast day is March 17, the date he was believed to have died in 461 A.D. Though never officially canonized as a saint by the Catholic Church, he is widely regarded as the patron saint of Ireland.

St. Patrick has long been attached to cultural legend in Ireland, and his popularity in the United States and other nations with large populations of Irish stock has only further cemented his fame on a stage far broader than the Emerald Isle. His likeness appears on everything from stained glass windows to shot glasses, and he plays the central figure on any number of religious tokens and medals. He is even featured on copper coins known as the St. Patrick "Farthing" and St. Patrick "Halfpenny." These coins are colloquially known as Saint Patrick Coppers.

Pre-1776 States Coinage, St Patrick Farth New Jersey, BN, PCGS AU58BN

These coins were most likely struck sometime between the mid-1640s and early 1660s, though - like their dates of production - where they were minted is shrouded in academic uncertainty; some sources say they were struck at the Tower of London, while other sources point to origins in Ireland. They were brought America by an English Quaker named Mark Newby, who was a merchant in Dublin.

Read the Entire Article
Learn More...
United States
16393 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Halfpenny was said to have circulated in West New Jersey during Colonial times. In fact, a few specimens were excavated in a Colonial era town site a few years back.
Learn More...
United States
19641 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool bi-metallic from the Colonies--been on my list for a while. This one is especially nice. Thx @bobby!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd really like to get the 4 set volumes from Syd Martin which includes the "Saint Patrick Coinage (for Ireland and New Jersey)" titled book, the set is out while too many other sets I want are also out, that makes:

4 vol. Set Syd Martin Colonial set
3 vol. Set Complete Carson City Collector
The History & Coinage of Machin's Mills
Abel Buell and the History of the Connecticut and Fugio Coinages
The Half Cent Handbook (Draped Busts Varieties 1800-1808)

I would really like to get for my library this month, unfortunately together they cost more than 4 months of my coin/book budget. Doh!

One day., maybe I'll catch up if they quit releasing so many neat books I must have.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
2184 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat article and reminds me of a 'white metal" St. Patrick's farthing I got from a friend. He said he acquired it from a lady who found it while gardening in NJ.

After some research, I contacted Sid Martin with some images and he graciously offered to look it over for me. After a while, he returned it to me along with a letter explaining it was actually a lead copy made by a guy in the 60's.
"It is a copy, made by Peter Rosa working in the Bronx as the Becker Manufacturing Company in the early-mid 1960s."
He pointed out the area on the "coin" where the casting sprue was still visible. I was disappointed with the results of course but extremely grateful for him taking the time to evaluate it and give such a lengthy explanation, including Specific gravity tests he performed and how Becker produced his dies. His expertise is inspiring.
Here's a couple of poor images I took in 2018 for those that are interested.

Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
667 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin, I have all of the Syd Martin books except for the French coinage one, they are absolutely fantastic. I have the Machin's Mill and Abel Buell books as well, can't go wrong with any of them!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great article and thank you for sharing.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first saw that image I thought "what's that orangey discoloration?" and then I learned! Great read!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
westcoin, I have all of the Syd Martin books except for the French coinage one, they are absolutely fantastic. I have the Machin's Mill and Abel Buell books as well, can't go wrong with any of them!

lcutler,
Oh I'm absolutely sure of that! I have studied them all fairly extensively through online reviews and discussions with those that have them, I'm just torn as to what order to get them in, first one I really wanted was the Machin's Mills, but I hear from my pusher, I mean book dealer, that they have plenty of copies of that one on hand, I'm thinking the Syd Martin set might be the one to get. The Carson City I have so much information already, all of Rusty's previous books (I do like the old west though) I know there is a lot of new information, but since I'm collecting books more than coins lately, that is until my employment situation looks up. I think, I'll go with this order;

1. Syd Martin Set
2. Abel Buell
3. Machin's Mills
4. Rusty's Carson Set

Also chosen as to affordability as well. I do have some plans to list some extra book copies and duplicates I've had piling up on eBay this week and next.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 554Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05