Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About 1972-D Kennedy Grade.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 195Next Topic  
Valued Member
Japan
241 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  08:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These early clad years obviously faced some incredible deterioration of dies, but if the post-mint condition wasn't scathed, would it affect the grade at all?
I want to know this for future reference, but what could a coin like this grade out as?
Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1255 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no, it won't
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Valued Member
Japan
241 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good to hear. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin appears to have been whizzed.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55721 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's just a deteriorated die, as mentioned.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15008 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with BadThad .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
Japan
241 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, it's not whizzed. I was the victim of a whizzed 1886-O Morgan purchase so believe me, I know what they look like!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3534 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not convinced it's been whizzed. Sure shows evidence of die deterioration--strong example.
Valued Member
Japan
241 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please excuse the flip. A whizzed coin will have luster shooting in all directions, and certainly wouldn't have a cartwheel effect (which is almost impossible for counterfeiters to replicate as well, making fakes easier to spot).
If a coin is altered in any way, it will be easily noticed in the luster first. This piece hasn't been altered.

Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to what has been said, I wonder what is going on in the hair above the ear. I wish I knew the word to describe it accurately, but is it "speckled"? "flecked", etc. Seems off.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 195Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05