Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Jefferson Nickel Error Or Road Kill

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 257Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  10:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pretty simple question, see photo. Could this possibly be from a coin that didn't eject so smashed when the next one was minted, or just some outside damage?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5591 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a damaged sandwich coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55985 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote road kill.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1676 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Light on the coin washes out most of the detail but does look like it is just PMD
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm still working on the lighting. Maybe I'll get something that I can rely on. Latest "other" coin (try #4 or 5 of the 1954 Jefferson) I placed a second light and reduced the exposure a bunch. (technical photo term of course) But honest, I was shooting at a 30th and went to 1/125th.

Problem with the extension tube on the macro lens, it's manual, so no F/Stops just adjust the lighting and the shutter speed.

As for the diffuser I've used things like old Rubbing Alcohol Bottles, cut up. Gallon milk bottles, paper napkins, and layers of shelf tape. I'm working on this coin thing as a project and learning.

I want something to diffuse the light, that can clip on and off easily. The ring light clips on the lens, LEDs, cheap from eBay. I think it's a bit to harsh.

Time to spend this nickel, it doesn't go through the counting machines.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15056 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it have jammed in one of the machinery of the striking process at the mint . It does NOT look like road kill to me .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3059 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not road kill. But something else.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2829 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  03:44 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just Post Mint Damage. The coin is no longer round. If you measure it from side to side and top to bottom you'll get a slightly larger number for side to side. It has a rim on most of the coin, so it was struck in the collar. The damage has displaced metal to the K-3 position beyond the limit for an in-collar strike.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

After some more thought and looking again, I'm fairly certain that someone held it in a pliers of some sort, face down, and gave it a good whack with a small but heavy hammer. Monticello the steps are still partially there, (a depression in the coin) but the obverse is flattened.

There's also metal moved inwards on the reverse.

I had the idea of side by side with the proper matching alignment. I was trying to see what kind of pliers or tool. Just an idea.

But I'm convinced the lines from the teeth are clear enough to tell me, the accident was intentional PMD.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05