Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help List Special Edition Sets

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 346Next Topic  

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BearlyHere to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't find a list of special edition sets anywhere. Please add to this thread as you think of some. I'll start:
Rocketship
Pride of Two Nations
RFK Commemorative
March of Dimes

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you define "Special Edition"? Would Coin & Currency Sets be included? Coins & Chronicles Sets? Coin & Stamp Sets?

Just FYI: All (or nearly all) of these sets are listed in the " Red Book" after the individual commemorative coin pages.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to publisher Whitman, the new 2022 Guidebook of United States coins (i.e., Red Book), "A revamped commemorative coins and sets section has been revised to group together all products (single coins and sets) for each coinage program. The specific contents of each government-issued commemorative set have been reviewed and confirmed or updated."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A revamped commemorative coins and sets section...

I'm glad to see the " Red Book" team is updating this section. I've sent multiple updates to the editor over the past few years, it will be good to see the omissions and (hopefully) errors corrected.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds great! It would be a good time for me to get an updated edition. My most recent is 2014.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10917 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would be a good time for me to get an updated edition. My most recent is 2014.

Same... I haven't bought one in a couple years. I think my most recent is 2018. Although I might wait to see what the special section of the Mega Red is.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS has a NCLT sets section. For both MS and proof. With coins sets having both MS and proof listed in the proof section. Seems to be limited to US only sets. Pride of Two Nations, Leif Erikson with Iceland coin are not in there. Does have coin and chronicle sets.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lancek: Maybe I'm not looking in the correct place on the PCGS site, but all of the sets I see listed in their registry sections are those that can be assembled from coins that were sold individually by the Mint.

For example, under the JACKIE ROBINSON MODERN COMMEMORATIVES, CIRCULATION STRIKES AND PROOF (1997) heading, the PCGS Set Composition list includes only proof and uncirculated versions of the silver dollar and gold half eagle - all coins that were available individually from the Mint.

When I think of "Special Edition" sets for the Jackie Robinson coins, I think of the Legacy Set that included a proof version of the gold coin, a custom Jackie Robinson baseball card, a custom pin and a custom patch all delivered in a custom wooden case. I believe that is the type of set the OP is inquiring about - but maybe I'm wrong.

BearlyHere?

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BearlyHere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking for sets with 2 or more coins.
Edited by BearlyHere
02/28/2021 4:30 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05