Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Is The Puerto Rico 1895 1 Peso Silver Crown Relatively Expensive?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 214Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  2:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces17449.html

Numista has this coin with a mintage number of over 8,000,000 pieces, which is quite a large number and comparable to many Morgan dollars minted around the same time. Yet, a circulated piece can go up to $200 dollars! A quick ebay search and a lot of the coins are priced at least over $150.

Would any of you guys know the reason for why this is? Is there particular demand for this coin in Spain, which would explain the price hike? Were many melted?
Valued Member
404 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High attrition rate in my opinion, combined with a large collector following (Puerto Ricans, Spanish, American, Colonial, Crown, world silver collectors). There are some serious experts on these particular issues on this forum though, who I eagerly give the floor over to ;)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4080 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are not many Puerto Rican coins around. I rarely saw them when I was more active looking for world coins. I think that this is the only Puerto Rican Crown, which makes it desirable.
Learn More...
Australia
13583 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can think of two main reasons:

- Many were presumably withdrawn from circulation and melted down, once the island became US territory and the coins no longer legal tender. Reduced supply.
- As a current US territory and "back of the Red Book" country, like Hawaii and the Philippines, Puerto Rico is much more popular with American collectors than your typical "foreign coin". Thus, high demand.

Reduced supply and increased demand equals higher prices.

As far as I am aware, there isn't very strong interest in Spain itself for collecting coins from the former colonies. I don't know how aware the folks in Puerto Rico itself are to collecting their old coins, but I suspect demand from the mainland USA would outstrip local demand.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 214Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05