Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Jbuck's 1922 "Plain" LWC Dansco Hole Dilemma

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,064Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
The recent 1909-S VDB topic has my wheels turning.

I need to fill that 1922 "Plain" hole in my Dansco so I can focus on the King. I know I need to do what makes me happy, but I still like reading the opinions.

I am considering the first four options. The other choices are there so everyone has a chance to make a selection.

Poll Choices
  1922 No D
  1922 Weak D
  The Copper Blank I Found
  Lowball Dateless Wheat cent
  Leave It Empty (NEVER!)
  Other (Explain in Your Reply)

Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"The Copper Blank I Found"

Yes, I have one. I forget I had it. I forget when or where I found it. CRH most likely. I was looking through my box of miscellaneous 2x2s for a low-ball Wheat cent I thought I had and found this instead. It is bronze, not zinc, so a legitimate option.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3448 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...are there supposed to be two 1922 options?
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Akkdayam's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Akkdayam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think really any of them is good (I mean the first four)
When you buy on eBay make sure you don't get it then realize you bought the wrong thing 3 minutes later - me

Pillar of the Community
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a very weak D example, in F-VF, for less than $20 and it looks great in my album. It replaced a blank planchet that was in that hole for about 50 years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4832 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may be able to pick even a weak D off of eBay for a decent price. Some examples come up every once in a while with no D that go for cheaper than normal so I say just stay patient until you find one you like. As long as I filled the hole with the correct coin/variety in any grade I would consider the hole filled until I can upgrade. I hope you find an example you like!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't want to fill it with a true no D yet, I would go for a nice weak D that has only a trace of the D. I would consider that a reasonable filler.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7049 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted 'other' to concur with keeping your patience jbuck and finding an acceptable weak D to fill that hole.

It should not be a bank breaker but will require patience and perseverance.

You have that in you amigo.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55821 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A "weak D" is not a "Plain", and so just filling the hole with the wrong coin will not really solve anything, will it? These hold their value extremely well - why not just patiently save for the real deal?
Edited by Coinfrog
02/25/2021 6:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can find one (since they are quite scarce), the DP1, DP3 & DP4 are still the real deal.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55821 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're not hard to find. It's just the money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3678 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a variation of a copper blank as well - I use a token from a mint set. For the 22-D slot, I put the D side facing up as that seems appropriate.

The 1909-S VDB thread inspired me also interestingly enough.

I have a second Lincoln collection that is the overflow from my first / main collection (the one linked in my signature). It's turned into a pretty nice collection in its own right. I've done some work on it over the years so that it is uncirculated from 1935-present and brown circulated 1934 and before. All that is missing at this point is the 31-S, the 14-D and the 09-S VDB.

I can swing a low grade 31-S and 14-D in the budget. But I still have the hole for the 22-D and the 09-S VDB for this second set will have to wait so that's going to be another hole. Mint tokens to the rescue - actually just ordered this item on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-D-US-TRE...114537488867

The mint red will stand out a bit in the sea of brown but it's good enough for me.
Edited by KenKat
02/25/2021 8:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17296 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...are there supposed to be two 1922 options?

The first is the 1922 no D )Die pair 2) and second is the 1922 weak D (die pairs 1,3, and 4) the D isn't visible on either of them.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the copper blank is a great way to fill the hole with something that doesn't pretend to be what's supposed to be there. It fills the hole and isn't trying to pretend to be a 1922 no d. I think the worst thing is to put the wrong thing in a hole and pretend all is well
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9471 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A copper blank planchet looks better than a hole. Plus, it could have been a 1922 plain if it were struck.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55821 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh c'mon. You either own a '22 Plain or you do not.
Edited by Coinfrog
02/25/2021 10:37 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,064Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05