Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Jbuck's 1922 "Plain" LWC Dansco Hole Dilemma

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,065Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4214 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I now have several 22 no Ds...I'd love to give you one

Man, I love this new Dremell tool.....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Learn More...
Canada
9595 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's wrong with a hole in a coin album? Or are you one of those people that I would love to do this to?

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
1041 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For now, I have a very weak 'D' in place, but I am always looking and will find that no 'D' coin.

I suggest you be patient but vigilant for that special no'D' coin that suits your fancy (and wallet).
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15028 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The first is the 1922 no D )Die pair 2) and second is the 1922 weak D (die pairs 1,3, and 4) the D isn't visible on either of them.

If the D isn't visible on either of them, then why do they call it a weak D variety ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2178 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went with the copper blank. I'm in the group that can't justify the premium for a late die state 22D. This would still be the case on the weak D as well, just not as extreme.

Why put the incorrect coin in its place? Technically speaking a blank isn't a coin, it's all or nothing!! Either hold out for the real deal or fill it with "nothing" (a blank). My twisted logic.

OR

Enlarge the hole and fill it with an Ike. Might as well if you're going to fill it with the incorrect coin!
Edited by Ty2020b
02/26/2021 08:49 am
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the above, "you either have a 22 no D or you don't". Leave it blank. Collecting is a method of learning patience with no short cuts to (false) gratification. My 1856 Flying Eagle cent slot will remain empty until I win the super lottery.
Edited by EDM
02/26/2021 09:03 am
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...are there supposed to be two 1922 options?
Ugh! It was fine yesterday.

I fixed it. I guess at some point it did not like the non-alphanumeric characters I had in there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3678 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the things I don't like about leaving an open hole long term is that the coin behind it shows through - and to my tired old eyes, it looks like the hole is filled sometimes. So - oh, you have an 09-S VDB! NOPE! I've got a 21-S showing through
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the replies.

It seems that "The Copper Blank I Found" is the popular choice to fill that hole I wish Dansco had not included.

I have always wanted the 1909-S VDB to be the last hole filled in my album and I think I have a solution. I could focus on the 09SVDB. When I find one, I could put the blank into the 22 Plain hole and then place 09SVDB in its hole. Album complete.

Of course, if that blank ever bothers me I can "upgrade" that hole. I typically do not like upgrades, but I know plenty of you play the game.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or, you just scratch off the lettering on that page and forget about it. LOL
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or, you just scratch off the lettering on that page and forget about it. LOL
You know, that thought crossed my mind. Copper blank in the hole, a little acetone to clean off the label...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put a weak-D in that slot. My reasoning is that since the no-D was simply a die polishing issue, the weak D would illustrate the progression toward the ultimate absence of the D. I just wouldn't pull the trigger on a coin of that price for what it is.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17296 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the D isn't visible on either of them, then why do they call it a weak D variety ?

Because die pairs 1,3, and 4 can come either with or without the D showing. Die pair 2 always has it missing.

Quote:
Oh c'mon. You either own a '22 Plain or you do not.

But even if you have a 22 "plain" it is still a 1922 D cent
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just wouldn't pull the trigger on a coin of that price for what it is
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dremel moto-tool will remove ANY trace of that D... :)
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,065Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05