Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946 Henning Nickel? Showing The Markers And Weighs In At 5.04 Gr.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 340Next Topic  

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  7:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks, I have been studying this 1946 nickel, and would sure appreciate any feedback. I am seeing some markers on this coin, (From your forum) and the dull, rough surface seems like it could be a Henning nickel. any feedback would be much appreciated Thank you!

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Christian18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is. I'm not seeing the loop on the R in "pluribus".
Pillar of the Community
United States
2986 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even without the looped R, it doesn't seem to have the softness in detail of the devices that you would expect with a Henning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50068 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is struck too strong to be a Henning Nickel:

While are counterfeit, they are probably the most expensive examples you can buy. Why? Not me. I'm a variety collector.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15031 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not a Henning .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55849 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, way too strong for a Henning.

to the CCF!
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add up coin creek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, thank you all for the feedback, I learned more, and will keep on looking!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9473 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there were any Henning nickels with a mint mark.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG, I had thought the same thing. Isn't that another key identifier?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9473 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IsThisAnything, We had a friend on here on CCF who sadly passed away named pyrbob. I saw his henning collection when he came to our local coin club show. I think my jaw is still on that floor.
Go to this page https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...p?mode=DoIt' and put henning in the search for, and member pyrbob in the by member box.
You find a lot of topics to read about this subject of Henning Nickels.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if this is any help? https://medium.com/collectibles-his...d19fecdb2d99 A nice short article.

1939, 1944, 1946, 1947 and 1953 and maybe another.

From others, if I want to find one of these, the "R" is the easiest ID. But now we have a counterfeit/counterfeit?

An interesting and amusing tale. Now instead of tossing those bad strikes and worn out Jeffersons, into the piggy bank to take to the coin sorter... I'm going to have to look at them? Poor strikes and soft.

Does anyone have an example image of the raised dots 'pimples' inside the "M" of "UNUM" I searched a bit and didn't see one.

This does make me wonder why someone would spend the time making six dies and buying blanks, when they probably cost as much to make as a real Nickel. Then the other part. Someone talented enough (if that's the word) to go through all that trouble, didn't know that 1944 no mint mark was going to attract attention?

Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TNG, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you! I'll go look that up so I can read more about these. I know they are counterfeits, but I like the story with them and I think they're really cool.
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JC Stevens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Henning Nickel. None of LeRoy Henning's dies had mint marks. He got caught when he exchanged a bunch of 1944 nickels at a bank that didn't have mint marks. All 1944 nickels had mint marks (P, D, or S) above the dome.
Check out this link on Err-Ref for more info.
http://www.error-ref.com/henning-co...feit-nickel/
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even without it being a Henning, I'd still hang onto it. I like 1940s nickels. A lot of stories in them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2823 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Here's an article about Henning and his counterfeits from 'Weird New Jersey,' a magazine of the strange stuff that goes on here. https://www.courierpostonline.com/s...it/26070351/
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05