Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 Cent - I Can't Explain - Extra Stamped Letters And Numbers?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 410Next Topic  

Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JayK1777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

Again... I'm a newbie just starting to collect with my 8 year old son so please be patient with me... My son found this 1921 cent and told me it was "messed up".

I know its in rough shape and has plenty of circulation damage but to me it looks like there is an accidental stamp of a backwards CA from the word "CANADA' the a rotated "21' from the year 1921 and then a rotated "9".

I have little understanding of the minting process so I thought I would post here to get your thoughts. Insights and commentary would be appreciated. As a newbie this is way out of my league!!

(Trying my best with pics - hope they are okay!)

Thank so much.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4699 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone just squeezed another coin onto this 1921
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16822 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JayK1777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah Yes... Thank you. That makes total sense now that I think about the fact the the marks are recessed and not raised. This must be the dreaded "vise job" I've read about! It really stinks that people do that to coins...

Thanks so much for the reply and the welcomes!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
637 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JayK Welcome,

Interesting coin. I will not contradict John him have more experience then me in errors or varieties.

On your coin me I see some interesting points, which could not be after striking damage:

1. E from REX. is longed and broke at the base.
2. A from GRA touch the dot.
3. The CA we see it is negative printing? this is questionable, how?
4. The other negative "21" I have no explanation.

Before to answer you I look all my 10 1921 and no one show something close. I thing must be investigate more. Could be a strike. In that time was no automatic strikes, so move or fast done could happened.

Me I consider a interesting coin for those who look for errors and varieties.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4699 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let say the coin is a true 180 degree, upset die penny, probably worth 2000 to 4000 dollars and you squeezed another 1921 penny onto this upset die to make the coin much more cooler, what happened was instantly the coin became almost worthless like 100 bucks. Take this coin to any dealer or coin club, it's a damaged coin, just wanted to help a newbie and forgot to welcome the poster
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3515 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's all PMD. It looks like someone put another coin on top of the penny and whacked it with a hammer to impress one onto the other. The hammer slipped/bounced off the penny and destroyed the part of the penny opposite and wiped out the section between IND and IMP. The leaves on the reverse near the rim were crushed/flattened by the hammer blow and where the hammer took off the IND-IMP. From the look of the leaves, the bottom penny was on concrete. It's worth a penny.
Edited by okiecoiner
02/28/2021 09:48 am
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JayK1777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate all the feedback!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05