Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying 1972 Quarter. Extremely Errored? Or Just Abused?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 257Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Justlearningit11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, while counting my drawer at work today I came across this 1972 quarter. It looks like it has been damaged, but upon further inspection I think it may be a whole lot of errors on it. The right wing on the reverse seems to be punched super deep, to the point that it has deformed the obverse. The lettering and rim on the reverse seems to be completely messed up. Almost like off center, specifically around the "dollar" portion of quarter dollar. And the same seems to be true on the obverse side. Where the tail end of the "2" in 1972 seems to stretch into the rim of the coin. And "in" in in god we trust seems to be stamped with the rim as well. The entire quarter is not round, however the edge of the quarter still appears to have the vertical marks (around the edge) even though it isn't round at all. And again the obverse seems to be just generally stamped out of place be the reverse die. Also, under magnification (which I unfortunately can not get a clear photograph of there appears to be a very light 9 stamped perpendicular just under the "st" in trust on the obverse. Can anyone help me out here? Is this a severely errored coin? Or just something someone mangled to pieces? I'm still very new to the hobby, but I sort through lots of change and currency at my job, and this one just kind of stood out as very different. Any advice is helpful, thank you in advance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4865 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You were unfortunately right the first time. I can walk through some of the reasoning for the sake of education:

Quote:
The right wing on the reverse seems to be punched super deep, to the point that it has deformed the obverse.

If one side of a coin is badly damaged, the metal can be displaced on the other side. This can't really happen at the mint since the other side is backed by a die and the metal doesn't have anywhere to go.

Quote:
The lettering and rim on the reverse seems to be completely messed up. Almost like off center, specifically around the "dollar" portion of quarter dollar. And the same seems to be true on the obverse side. Where the tail end of the "2" in 1972 seems to stretch into the rim of the coin.

The rim has been partially flattened (and possibly abraded) to the point of swallowing up some of the devices. It appears wider in places as a result, but the coin's design isn't offset. Other weirdness in the lettering and rim is just a result of metal being displaced from damage.

Quote:
The entire quarter is not round, however the edge of the quarter still appears to have the vertical marks (around the edge) even though it isn't round at all.

The reeding (vertical marks) on the edge is imparted during striking by the collar, which also constrains the coin's size and shape. Any error that results in the coin not being round, like a planchet clip, also results in the metal not making contact with the collar in those deformed areas. The coin therefore lacks reeding in those areas. On a damaged coin, the existing rim is just pushed inward, leaving the reeding intact.

Quote:
Also, under magnification (which I unfortunately can not get a clear photograph of there appears to be a very light 9 stamped perpendicular just under the "st" in trust on the obverse.

Pareidolia, I suspect. Our brains love to find patterns where there aren't any, and I see a lot of little stains and scratches in that area that could be interpreted in different ways.

I hope that helps. Keep looking and you'll develop an eye for this sort of thing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numista, excellent answer. proffesional and pointed. But me I have two questions:

1. Why is yellow.

2. In the photos I circle one part.

Looking of those facts, and by the fact I know that the US and Canada test theirs dies on brass before striking, I presume this it is a part of the trash testing, which come in a way or other out in the market.

Your opinion please.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the second replay, but during a normal strike Will be impossible to have this oddity.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38912 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numisma nailed it
The yellow look I think is because the white balance is a bit out of adjustment.

Quote:
US and Canada test theirs dies on brass before striking
I have never heard of that,can you post a link so I can read up on that please?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
02/27/2021 04:34 am
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justlearningit11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. I figured that was the case, but just wanted to be sure. I can confirm the yellowish color of the coin is just the lighting in the photo. And thanks for all the info Numisma, very helpful!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05