Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Cent Grease Missing Date 195?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 253Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  10:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another new view, since I never had a macro lens or digital camera when I got this in the 90s. After all the recent mistakes and working on the lighting, it would have been many rolls of film and lots of money before I got the images right.

Isn't digital great?

Looking at the photo, I thought I saw a 7 but then, the bar is too long and too big? Something under the missing number, doesn't look right either.

I just assumed grease on the die, but I had to ask?

Edited by PPorro
02/27/2021 10:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4767 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess 1957. Nice Grease Filled Die example.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
3691 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking '57 as well. Wonder what the reverse looks like...
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh sorry, I didn't think the reverse was interesting.

The top bar on the 7 appears too wide and there's something down below? (or am I seeing things)

Edited by PPorro
02/27/2021 11:40 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56122 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Greaser, and probably a 7, but assuming it's a wheat I guess it could be a 5 or...?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3691 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse is showing a die crack--left wheat. Rather nice. The '57 Wheat cent (Philadelphia mint) often displays a myriad of interesting stuff.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die Crack, Oh... right. I never would have noticed. Coming here and investing some time, will improve my understanding. I never really did much. I mean, when I was a kid, I collected from pocket change. Nearly filled a cent book, and with buying the 1931-S I'm left where most of us hobby collectors are, no 1909-S VDB and no 22 plain.

Looking for unusual coins is a good diversion. I probably never thought about a die crack on anything. Easy enough, raised cracked line.

Then the Nickels, same thing except filling a book from circulation, I'm on my third, was just some Winter entertainment.

Thanks for more ideas and understanding.

I still wonder about the missing number as it's too large, there are raised bits and pieces where the number should be. But if it's not just a one off, no recognized error, that's what it is.

No I don't think I'm going to be retiring from any coin find in any imaginary world. I'm more likely to win the lottery and I know the odds of that!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur that it is a Greaser and a very nice one at that. Throw in the die crack on the reverse and that makes it an even neater cent.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last one on this? I don't know if I shouldn't have looked or if I'm seeing much more detail. I cleaned up a microscope lens, mounted it on an adapter and now I see a "0" plus scratches. But then there's a chunk of something as well.

More confusing than when I started. Striations, but not over the entire area.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New ballgame now in my in my humble opinion...... Almost appears to be an extremely abraided or over polished die from the looks of that pic and maybe not a Greaser. Amazing what different lighting angles can reveal. Not sure.
Edited by Scuba1
02/27/2021 2:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be a Grease Fill on that device and Possible thin gouge on the die.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, I'll keep it. Yes, interesting how getting better at photography shows more variations. It will always remain a 195? in my collection.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05