Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mis-Centered Coin / Planchet Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 202Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this Lincoln Cent Mis-Centered / Slight Error or am I seeing things...

The Coin has two "edges" on the left side but only one of the right side....curious what those with an actual clue of things like this think, as I can safely say I am not good enough to know for sure!!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
9484 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show both sides of the coin before it can be identified.
( This should be automatic with any posting)
One thing it is not is a planchet error.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry

Pillar of the Community
Canada
9484 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you have is known as MAD (Misaligned Die)
It it not out enough to have any extra value
but you could keep it as an example until a
better one comes along.

Correct error
Accidentally typed MD instead of MAD
Edited by JimmyD
02/27/2021 3:18 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with JimmyD. Also referred to as a MAD, the acronym for Misaligned Die, just FYI. Edit: (one day I will get all my thoughts correct on my first reply....lol). Here's a link from Lincolncentforum.com that explains the difference between a Misaligned Die and an Off Center Strike, both can be confused. I thought I would post this for you for your reference. Unfortunately, I don't think the pics are still available showing the differences but the explanation is good. Hope this helps.https://www.lincolncentforum.com/mi...ter-strikes/
Edited by Scuba1
02/27/2021 2:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is from a tilted die strike.

This creates a fin on the outside of the rim area, but the rolling of the coins usually flattens them. I have a theory on these, just haven't been able to prove it yet. If someone has an OBW roll and you find one of these in the roll, if you check other die examples from that roll to see if other die examples are in the roll. If they find some, check to see if there is Machine Doubling on them. My theory is that these are caused by MD because of the looseness on the machine. I just haven't run into these yet myself to see if that is the case.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/27/2021 3:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering I've been through loads of Lincoln cents and this is my first thing close to anything worth noting, I will take it for now!!

Thanks for all the information and examples, greatly appreciate it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a reference, screen show the description and the images for your personal files. If you need the information again, you can edit from that save image. I have to transfer them into JPG, but they and in a different format that I use. I just have to save them differently.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 202Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05