Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Naming Convention Do You Use For Your Coin Pictures?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 240Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1287 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  7:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
when you take picture of your coins how to you name them?

For example, for me I give the first picture (always Obverse)the main description.
Such as: '2021-W ASE proof.jpg'

then for the Reverse I use the exact name but add the number '1' to the end
Like this: '2021-W ASE proof1.jpg'

Any other pics I take for the same coin I increment the number '2', '3' etc.

This way my coin pictures are always filed together in a group

And I can always know which pic by file name is the obverse and reverse without needing thumbnails.

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4645 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CountryDateObv, CountryDateRev

If I have more than one for a given country and a given date I have to get creative (for example, CountryDateDenomObv).
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like CamelCaps as they're called (capitalizing each word instead of spaces or dashes) and generally go DateDesignDenominationObv and DateDesignDenominationRev

So a US 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent obverse photo would be 1804DrapedHalfCentObv

A Canadian 1859 Queen Victoria large cent reverse photo would be 1859QueenVictoriaLargeCentRev

I don't normally specify country because my photos are all organized by what set they are a part of, so having a folder where every file name has "Canada" would be redundant for me.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8504 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  04:17 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I generally do Date first, then country (often abbreviated), denomination and whether obverse or reverse. So something like a British 1971 penny obverse would be 1971_GB_1p_obv and a 1965 New Zealand shilling reverse would be 1965_NZ_1s_rev

I got into the habit of using underscores when I was maintaining a library of digital photos in my previous job, and they were the only characters other than letters and numerals that our company's computer system would accept.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1287 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, all methods are methodical and specific for easy identification.
It gives me ideas how to better organize my pictures, such as using folders to separate coin type. (which is something I'll do)

anyone else?
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Edited by Dearborn
03/02/2021 11:47 am
Learn More...
United States
99225 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends, as long as the filename is unique.

All US coins have year, mint, type, variety (if applicable).

Non-US coins have year, country, type.

I have been adding horizontal resolution (e.g. 1000px, 1500px, 2500px, etc.) for when I resize and keep originals.

One thing I have just noticed is that I am inconsistent with using space versus hyphen versus underscore.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05