Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Tombac Nickel Being "Quite Rare"

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,010Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  8:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There's this one short article talking about the 1944 Tombac nickel and this is what it says

Quote:
The 1944 tombac pieces are quite rare (worth about U.S.$10,000). The standard steel 5c pieces are worth about U.S. 10 cents in average circulated condition. The design on the 1943-45 nickels shows King George VI of England on the obverse a "V" for victory and a Liberty torch on the reverse. In 1946, the beaver reverse resumed and the 5 cent piece returned to its pre-war composition of pure nickel.

What do they mean by quite rare? There's only 1 known (unless I'm missing something). Also where did he get the price of about $10,000 USD?

also the articles starts off with

Quote:
Dave S. writes: I found a Canadian 1944 nickel. The head is a male, I believe it is King George. It has the following text around the outer edge of the head "georgivs vi d:g:rex et ind:imp:" coin. The coin has square edges. On the tail side it has what appears to be a torch inside a 'V'. There seems to be something odd about the coin, I can't quite explain it, but everyone I have shown it to agrees. Can you identify it? If so, is it worth anything? Thanks.

My question is that if he found it, where is it now? The only 1944 Tombac sold in auction was in 1999, this article was made in about 2013.

Here's the article
https://coinsite.com/whats-odd-abou...dian-nickel/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1270 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver Nickel, actually, you are not quite correct.
just check Canadian coin News, the trends section. Or the charlton coin books, or simply google it.
and or check previous posts on this site.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1189 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From coinsandcanada

5 cents 1944 - Tombac
The only 1944 5-cent Tombac coin known ( PCGS VF-35) sold by Heritage Auction in August 1999 for around $52,000 CAD. John Abbott, Michigan dealer, was in possession of it since 1982. The only time this coin was for sale since 1999 was in April, 2018, for hundreds thousands dollars, but found no buyer.
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fidius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you get into extreme rarity, such as 1 known, then you throw the book out as valuation is simply what anyone would pay for it at a point in time. Put the coin in the right auction, at the right point in time , with the right bidders, and your guess is as good as mine. A great coin to own, no doubt.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1270 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few years back there was a fellow in the US who claimed he had on.
it was discussed on this forum if I remember right.
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies, I meant it's not "quite rare", its more of an "impossible to get one of a kind piece"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4698 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It"s really hard to value one of a kind coin, they generally never trade again for decades, the secret is not too pay too much for it, take the 1911 dollar the last sale from previous owner lost 300 to 400K even on a smaller scale the 1992 mule 25 cents lost like 25,000 bucks. The only way to find true value of this coin is to place it in a major auction and the market will tell
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean by they? Is there more then one known that just hasn't been graded?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4698 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there is another 44 tombac, the colour is so obvious that someone will notice by now, I was trying to example well known 1 or two off examples where the marketplace was really hyped and the person probably paid 4 to 5 times the real market value for the 1992 mule quarter. Just a couple days ago a beautiful upset die Constitution dollar sold for around 16 K there are around 5 or so they trade ever so often to have a market guide
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 44TombacNickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree - it should just be called "one-of-a-kind". Happened upon this thread because my father is the owner of this unique coin.
Learn More...
United States
97863 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Agree - it should just be called "one-of-a-kind". Happened upon this thread because my father is the owner of this unique coin.
to the Community!
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Agree - Happened upon this thread because my father is the owner of this unique coin.

Wow, if your father owns such a rare coin, I wonder what your collections like!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
764 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Have you any insider stories or what not? I find it amazing you are part of this history. Very nice.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Learn More...
Canada
9594 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:23 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is also in one of the strangest PCGS holders ever... The Regency Holder
https://www.PCGS.com/holders/TheRegency

It is also probably the only Canadian coin in a PCGS Regency Holder.
https://coins.ha.com/itm/world/geor...a/208-5828.s
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there were about 700 coins put in regency holders, but I'm guessing many coins got cracked out of them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1270 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do believe there are samples available that originated from the RPoC.
seem to have something stuck in my mind that ebay had some listed a while back.
However, am not 100% on this.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,010Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05