Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

White Specs Or Flakes On Early American Copper Large Cents And Half Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 307Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  09:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FlyingEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have seen white specs or flakes on early american coppers. Does anyone know the cause? Does it have an impact on coin grade or value?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55821 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us any examples?

to the CCF!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Copper is a very reactive metal. At least compared to gold or silver. Could be lots of things. As far as effect on grade and value, eye appeal is very important to most buyers. Spots certainly aren't going to add any value. As far as detracting, are they subtle, or very pronounced. Limited to the fields, or all over the design?

Effect on grade is probably less of an issue. As I've seen very ugly spotted coins still grade high. Might knock it down a point or two if really bad, but still superficial. But a high grade doesn't really matter if nobody wants to buy it.

If the spots are more than superficial. Have damaged the surface under where they are, they yeah, probably a details coin, and a huge effect on grade and value.

If it's a high value coin, you could run it through one of the TPGs conservation services. Assuming the spots are superficial. But copper is kind of a crap shoot with that process. Can easily make the coin look worse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4725 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think someone recently posted a question about the same thing only it was encapsulated in a PCGS holder on the reverse. I don't think there was a definitive answer but could be wrong.

Oh and please allow me to welcome you to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
02/28/2021 10:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7750 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen this on copper coins as well, sometimes I think it's usually some sort of foreign substance or even lint that adheres to oily copper. I've run into it on some of my Two Cent coins and have always been able to remove it through acetone soaking and a mix of air blowing. Now it could also be from impurities in the metal composition itself and is showing up and reacting or oxidizing differently than the surrounding metal.

Photos would help us to better understand the issue I'm sure.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15028 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , were those coins holdered in TPG slabs or 2x2 cardboard holders ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect it's specks of cardboard dust sticking to the coin, more visible on a dark-surfaced coin.
Edited by Zurie
02/28/2021 3:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17296 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Owner had a dandruff problem?
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3267 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased a 1/2 cent with white flakes. It was slabbed in an NGC holder and not details. I contacted NGC and they told me to submit it for an " appearance review", which I did.

I would have generally returned the coin as I got it on eBay, but the price was really good, it was a coin I needed and the seller was down on his luck.

So I took a chance. I'll let you know what NGC says, worst that happens is I'm out shipping and a $10 fee. Best case it gets conserved for free and I get it back in better shape than I purchased it, as to what the white stuff, really looked like the polish used to clean metal objects.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Popcorn ceilings can yield that white flake effect ....

Seriously though, I've found the "Coin Care" product to be great for neutralizing and conserving the old coppers, in particular. All manner of residue tends to collect over time; especially so, within the recessed regions of counterstamped coins. IMHO, the fewer contaminants residing on coin surfaces, the better.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05