Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 Penny With Gap Around The Rim, Is This Normal?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 359Next Topic  
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  1:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add richvillanu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking over this 1972 penny because at 1ST glance I couldn't see the (VDB) signature at the bottom of the Lincolns shoulder, noticed this "gap" around the entire coin. Is this normal? Or some type of mint error...just guessing over pressure strike or something.
(Found the VDB inside the bottom crease)
The reverse has a significantly smaller gap
Any help will be very appreciated Thank you All

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38532 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over abraded die? Early stage DDD?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On incuse devices, Such as the VDB, they are raised on the die. When die polishing happens they can be the area affected first, unless the operator is aware that the polishing could removed the devices.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add richvillanu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop, great info. That explains the weak VDB.
Any ideas on the gap?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that we are on the subject of V.D.B. and VDB. When was the last year the dots between the initials disappeared?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/28/2021 10:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4232 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as the "gap" your cent may have been encased in a "lucky/never go broke holder" in its past life. You could use the search box to find more info and other examples...

to CCF...good luck on future finds and have fun...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
03/02/2021 12:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38532 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does not look like a former Encased Coin to me.
John1
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add richvillanu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john1, I agree I'm not completely sure this coin was ever encased. The size of the gap differs on the entire coin.Larger gap at the bottom and gradually decreasing when arriving at the top
The reverse has a perty consistent gap size all around, kinda what I would expect to see on a Encased Coin. But no damage in the gap of signs of something being wedged inside.
Weird I don't know. Does anyone have any ideas?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38532 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will wait for a pro to chime in
John1
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05