Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buying Coins From China

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 195Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  3:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK, before everyone says "Don't buy from China" please read. I'm looking at filling in some gaps in modern (1970 onwards) Chinese coin collection. I've noticed that there are a lot of circulating commemoratives put out in the last decade or so, and I like the design on them. Yet despite finding 1 and even the odd 5 Yuan coin while noodling, I've yet to find any commemoratives. I see plenty of commemoratives for sale at 5-10x face value by EBay sellers outside China but none for sale from China despite the huge number of old Chinese fake coins. I assume it is illegal in China to counterfeit legal circulating Chinese coins so have no worries there. Does anyone know why there are no Chinese sellers flooging modern coins? If it's illegal, why are there rolls of UNC Chinese coins for sale outside China? Are there any Chinese collectors in China on the forum who want to trade for Aus coins?

Ta
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18448 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is my reasoning that so many fakes of all types of coins have come out of China in recent years (including fakes of Chinese coins), that
buyers are far more hesitant than they used to be and this
has discouraged sellers from offering modern Chinese NCLT silver coins.

I think that there may also be a quickly growing market within China for officially minted genuine NCLT. If that is the case, then profits more easily made to sell locally.
Learn More...
Australia
13612 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Restrictions for export of current Chinese coins and notes are only for amounts over 20,000, so it's not a legal or customs problem.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sel - Am chasing copper, nickel and brass coins, not silver, otherwise I would be wary of Chinese knock-offs. Example of coin:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces13885.html
Maybe they just have low mintages so high price values?
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 195Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05