Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2005 Nickel , Front Satin And Rear Is Silver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 283Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  5:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oaguirrre to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 2005 nickel I found . The front of the nickel is satin un colored and the rear is silver like any other nickel. In the photos you can't really tell the difference . But one side is completely noticeable in color from the other half , also the side regides of the coin at satin .

Pillar of the Community
United States
3685 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse appears to have been exposed to an environmental agent which has 'dulled' the coin's surfaces. Could you post photos of the coin outside the plastic bag/protector? Thanks.
Edited by ijn1944
03/01/2021 6:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50252 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the plastic it is in, is not a safe product to keep coins in. But they coin is normal. The satin ones would be the same on both sides.
Here is a satin one:
https://images.PCGS.com/CoinFacts/1...859_2200.jpg
Don't open this link on a phone as it will take a long, long time

In the highest grade MS-68 it is worth $18. Probably cost them close to $50 to have it graded. Forget that..
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/01/2021 5:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56108 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental toning on the obverse I think.

to the CCF!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oaguirrre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some photos outside the bag ,

Pillar of the Community
United States
993 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
now fingerprinted too
Pillar of the Community
United States
5464 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never a good idea to hold your coins against your skin.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oaguirrre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'm new to coin collecting , I don't know the ins and outs yet . But back to the question . Is this a error ? Normal ? One of one ? Please advice , if so I know the next step is to get it graded correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5464 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A better option when handling coins are inexpensive cotton gloves, available wherever hobby supplies are sold.

The obverse of your coin has been environmentally effected (damaged). It appears the plastic it was previously kept in has adversely impacted this nickel. This is not a mint error, it is simply post mint damage ( PMD). I would advise you to not submit it to be graded, as the cost of the grading service would be greater than the value of the coin. But, it's your coin, do what you think is best for you.

You have come to a great place to learn. Keep searching, and keep asking questions!

ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
03/01/2021 10:02 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oaguirrre to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice , I actually put the coin in the the small bag to not damage it lol guess I did more harm , I got the coin from a vending machine and it was already like that .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
normal. If you take a nickel and put it on the window sill where it will get sunlight and dust and leave it there for a year sitting on the same side, this is what happens. one side will look new and clean, the other side will look dull.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3069 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
now fingerprinted too
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 283Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05