Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Not An Error Coin, But No Forum For Environmental Damaged Coins. (2010 D Cent)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 438Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4280 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I will post my 2010 D LSC here.

This coin was found in phoenix AZ in the hot summer of 2020 in the month of late July.

I was working up on a white vinyl rooftop of a commercial building. The roofing material was so hot tha tmy feet were burning right through my work boots.

Looking down while I was running some EMT conduit, I see a penny and pick it up. (yes, I pick up every single one I spot.) I immediately had to throw it back down into a shaded area because it burnt my fingers a bit.

I happened to look back to where the penny had been and I saw that it had sunk into the vinyl roofing material.

I went to the penny I had thrown and picked it up again (after it had cooled a bit). The coin had fallen reverse up and had become dished out. It was deformed as it got so hot is was beginning to soften and slowly turn into a bowl shaped coin.

The reverse side saw the sun for so long the Zinc is showing through and the obverse just darkened to almost black.

Can we say that phoenix got hot enough to melt a zinc cent? I say yes...

Here are the pictures:

Edited to fix a typo on the date.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Edited by Dearborn
03/01/2021 6:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54663 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spender. Not a long life for this coin. When it gets back to the bank it will be returned to the mint to be cancelled.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can we say that phoenix got hot enough to melt a zinc cent? I say yes...

Hmm maybe, but you'd have to get up to near 800 degrees F. Even on an asphalt roof in the summer sun of Phoenix, I'm not sure it gets that hot.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
5955 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, check the temperatures that metals melt. Phoenix gets hot, but not that hot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1995 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say no. I've worked with just about every type of metal there is for the last 40 years and the sun is not going to warp any type of coin. Melting point of copper is over 1983 degrees Fahrenheit. maybe the coin was in a fire at one point in it's life but the sun did not do this
Pillar of the Community
United States
4280 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok maybe 'melt was the wrong word. sheesh lets get literal here. it did get warm enough to enable it to sag into the roofing material. on that I'm not kidding. It was probably up there for years, each year sagging a tiny bit more..(just a guess on that)
Learn More...
United States
21437 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No matter how you slice it, it is still a fun find @dearborn!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4280 Posts
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like a good story on a coin, even if it's not valuable. I have a couple weird ones too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" melting point for copper is over 1983 degrees fahrenheit"

Is that the reason why the mint changed over fully to zinc in 1983?............

edited: neat find never the less...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
03/02/2021 12:30 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 438Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: