Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Small Medal Featuring Lincoln And Washington

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 188Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add squint to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
looking for help identifying a small (3/4") medal/token. I came across CCF while searching. It appears to be either silver or other white metal. I saw a reference to one made from bronze. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am a new member and have several tokens/medals that I need help with identification. Thank you all.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4062 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

We have many experts here who can help you.

Sorry I cannot help with this particular medal.
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a US mint medal. Looks similar to J-PR-31 but there are other similar ones as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It would certainly help us to properly ID your medal if you could take some pictures that provide more of a close-up of each side of the medal and are more in focus.

That said, your medal appears to be an example of the US Mint Washington-Lincoln medal that is cataloged as Julian PR-30. This number refers to Julian's book Medals of the US Mint - The First Century. He categorized this medal within the "Presidential" group and it is the 30th of such medals in the category. The medal dates to the 1865-1880 time frame. The piece was the work of Anthony Paquet at the US Mint.

They were produced in gold (169) and silver (5,677) and other metals. In uncirculated condition, the silver examples can be worth several hundred dollars (and up!). It was also re-struck in bronze (in the 1960s?); these go for noticeably less in the market.

I'll try to add more once you post better images and I can be more sure that I am stating accurate information.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you commems, sorry about the photos here are some new ones. Also it is 18.33mm and 3.35g.
I would appreciate any suggested books (or websites) I can purchase for investigating exonumia as I have a lot of work to do. Note: There is the letter "P" on the bust of Washington but none on Lincoln.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11473 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  02:46 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan

"I am a donut!"
-John F. Kennedy
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 188Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05