Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An 1858 Flying Eagle Cent With A Silversmith Lining .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 542Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Always on the lookout for a new counterstamp puzzle to solve, I spotted the below coin on eBay last month. The tiny counterstamp suggested to me that C.N. GIBBS was likely a fine craftsman. The period following his name, also referred to as a "stop," suggested a mid 1800's made stamp.

Doing some research, I found that one Joseph Nelson Gibbs was an early 1800's Massachusetts silversmith. As he shared the same middle initial with my C.N. Gibbs, I checked to see if Joseph had a family member with the C.N. initials. Sure enough, he had a son, named Cyrus Nelson Gibbs (1846-1922) who pursued Joseph's career as a jeweler and watchmaker. The counterstamp matched that found on this silversmith website .... http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~silv...s/197611.htm

Unlisted by Brunk or Rulau, the C.N. GIBBS c/s is a discovery piece. Perhaps, others exist. To date, I've seen no others attributed. Puzzle solved, I always seek out backstories that tell something of the c/s issuer, his life and times. The two following news clippings reveal a good deal about Cyrus. He surely was a talented and interesting man ....

Finally, could I find an example of Cyrus's work, the proverbial icing on the cake? The icing proved to be an 1888 dated pie server, pictured below. Note that it bears a name stamp which matches that on the coin ....

Cyrus reportedly began working in 1866, at age 20. He likely apprenticed for seven years under his father. The subject may have stamped this 1858 cent when he began his apprenticeship in 1858-59. Judging from the excessive wear on this coin, it may well have been a pocket piece that Cyrus carried. Personally stamped coins were often carried and shared by masons with others; in effect, serving as conversation stimulators.

The coin and the pie server cost me under $50, total. Now, I love Mercury dimes and Buffalo nickels, but I've never had such fun with a comparably priced, low grade 1921-D dime or a 1921-S nickel as I've had with this counterstamp.

Now, all that remains is for me to get the Mrs. to make a lemon meringue pie, so I can try out Cyrus's silver-plated pie server!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55849 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find and research!
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as always, a good read coupled with interesting research
great post
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2232 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating story and great research.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
United States
5210 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done!
I bet that puts a lot more pizazz into your collection.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story and close by!
Learn More...
United States
97989 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4727 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic sir! Great article and great research as usual.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
03/03/2021 10:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys .... Your enthusiasm is much appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4069 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That utensil you got was icing on the cake...I mean crust on the pie.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1645 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great history/research.
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great detective work! It's fascinating to learn about the people and their stories. Thank you for sharing your passion with us!
Pillar of the Community
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done! there always room for pie.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys .... I'll post another next week.
Learn More...
United States
97989 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 542Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05