Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899 5c Counterstamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 303Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Was hoping someone might have some info on this counterstamp. I paid $4 for it in the mid 80's. Is there a link to a list of old counterstamps?

Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777

Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55730 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting - the letters don't seem to be from the same fonts.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2166 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first and middle initial.... beyond that I'm of no help!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9353 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there is any significance except that it may be someone's initials.
Anybody with a punch set could do that to any coin.
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only been able to track down coins from the world fair. Other than not, I haven't had much luck. I know there are a few people in the forum who specialize in counter stamps. I'm sure they'll know more than me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably 99.9% of random, counterstamped initials like those on the subject coin will forever remain unattributed "maverick" pieces. The person who stamps coins in such a misaligned letter fashion typically does so for whimsy and/or personal reasons.

The counterstamps that are most valued by serious collectors offer glimpses of history, relating to certain individuals, certain places, occupations, events, causes, etc. Many sellers of counterstamped coins often make up or convey hearsay stories to draw attention to their wares. Counterstamped coins, mavericks in particular, often fall prey to this manner of deception. Here's a prime example ....

About a year ago, an article was published in The Numismatist. The writers mused that a coin stamped with the initials W.E.G. could have belonged to the famous nineteenth century statesman, William E. Gladstone. the meat of the article was about Gladstone and his place in history. There was not a scintilla of evidence offered that might possibly connect Gladstone to this counterstamped coin. In closing the article, the two authors casually acknowledged same.

From my perspective as a serious student of counterstamps, the only thing worse than the article, itself, was the fact that America's premier coin journal published this bogus article. Furthermore false information about counterstamps was conveyed therein.

Now that the article has been published, the owner of this W.E.G. stamped coin has added a story, unrealistic though it be, to it. The published story will then add value to the coin. IMHO, this practice is FAKE NEWS, numismatic style. BTW, authors of stories, genuine or not, get paid by The Numismatist.

There are literally tens of thousands of coins stamped with random initials out there. Let's see, might we connect this J.T. stamped nickel to say .... John Travolta?
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. I figured it would be difficult to attribute this c/s but thought there might be some clues out there that pointed to an origin. With a quick search I did see this IH with a "JT Smith"c/s. The font seems to have multiple similarities and the coins are contemporaries. Am I on the right track?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3849 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ CoinHI .... Brunk listed the J.T. SMITH c/s as S-610; then, noting that two sizes exist. In 2003, he cited one Joseph T. Smith, a jeweler from Schuylerville, NY, as a potential issuer. Brunk noted that, with Smith being such a common name, other prospects were out there. At least a few dozen of these c/s's exist, so Smith, whoever he was, was a fairly prolific issuer.

Another prospect exists in the person of Joseph T. Smith who issued the below pictured Civil War token in 1863. He was reportedly in business until 1883. To my knowledge, the latest dated host coin is 1876.

Here's a pic, one of two Smith c/s's in my collection. Note that it is the smaller size stamp. It's a holed, 1865 CN Three Cent piece. Perhaps, it was once attached to a clock-winding key? One thought I've had on this issue was, if Smith was selling clocks, as the Wisconsin & NY guys were both doing, might they have tossed one of the stamped coins within the clock housing; this, as an expression of good will and/or a reminder of whom sold them the product? This is purely speculation on my part, mind you. Sadly, speculations like this often get promoted to "facts" by eager sellers.

Summarily, the jury remains out on just who issued these c/s's. The only way these can be positively attributed is for a matching stamp to be found on some product OR if another J.T. SMITH c/s surfaces that hosts an added town/address stamp.
Edited by ExoGuy
03/04/2021 3:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
670 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Exoguy!

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05