Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S - Lincoln Cent - Thoughts On Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 309Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think this would grade? What are some telltale signs of "cleaned" ? There are some very fine scratches when looking under magnification, but how do you know if that is just from it being 112 years old? I do have photos of the scratches that I could post if needed. I did include 2 obverse photos - tried playing with the lighting.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55865 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, please show us photos of the scratches, and also tell us which set of pics is closest to the true color.
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The top 2 pictures or brighter photos are closest to true color. Here are a few of the scratches.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4657 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks cleaned in your second obverse photo. Those fine, parallel scratches are indicative of a coin that's been rubbed or brushed during cleaning. What gets me is that the luster still looks reasonably natural in the first couple pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is sad. nice coin that would have graded high AU. the coin was either wizzed or cleaned with some type of abrasive. the circular movement of the scratches leads me to believe it was mechanical. this is very prevalent on the second obverse photo. it may not enough to destroy the coin but enough to affect grade and value and the coin would not grade straight
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking the circular scratches were from a short trip in a coin rolling machine at some point in its life. I will have to research "whizzing" .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55865 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess I'll have to say (high0 AU details (cleaned).
Pillar of the Community
United States
4657 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was thinking the circular scratches were from a short trip in a coin rolling machine at some point in its life.

The scratches in the right field don't appear to be perfectly parallel to the rim, like roller damage. I'm thinking they could just be normal scratches. The other scratches definitely make it a problem coin, though.
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all - so it's a no on TPG! What color designation would you give this? The first pic of the coin is closest to the true color. Probably will keep in a flip in the collection. The coin does have decent eye appeal to me .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What color designation would you give this?

an AU or detailed coin would not receive a color grade. these photos are not good enough to give a color even if it was appropriate
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It clear this coin was harshly cleaned at some point and then retoned. The last picture in you post shows cleaning lines extending from field to field across the devices.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05