Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 O Morgan For Grading (Updated Pics)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 369Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all. Got this the other day. This coin shows very few marks in the fields or devices. The only thing that concerns me is what appears to be die file lines across both sides. How much does this affect grade? Thanks in advance.
The image optimizer has distorted the lines in my pics. These lines do run parallel though. From 7-8 to 1-2 o clock on the obverse and from 4-5 to 10-11 on reverse.

Edited by heavymetal
03/03/2021 5:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
517 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm liking it. Always risky being first but I'm going to say MS64.
Could do with some bigger photos if possible?
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll get some better pictures with better light as soon as I get home. These were taken last night under a 75 watt incandescent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9651 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing MS64 as well.

The lines you see are often referred to as roller wheel marks form the draw bench that flattened silver ingots into strips the correct thickness for dollar planchets. Some imparted grooves that were too deep to clean up during the minting process.

1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55923 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-64 as well, but sure would like to see larger pics.
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully these are better.

Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A checkout to vamworld.com should help id your VAM number, and with an average grade of MS-64.
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Dave700x cleared it up for me. Thanks again everyone for the input.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do the roller wheel marks affect the grade? Looks like a clean cheek and relatively clean fields. Why not a 65?
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the way you think psuman08.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22016 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are tough, I see this one at MS-65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-64. The roller marks are distracting, and the luster is only fair.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
517 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I said 64 because I felt the lustre was a little dull, I actually felt like putting 63 but I'm glad I put 64 as everyone else has agreed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9940 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
strike is about average for an 83(O). the reverse is a little on the tip of the left wing and some of the higher profile leaves. possibly broken luster across the cheek and a couple other surface areas but could from lighting. MS64+
Pillar of the Community
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will say MS-65
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05