Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 Lincoln Penny Questions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 633Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  2:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kimberly74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Good Day everyone,
I have a few 1983 pennies some with D on them some with no mark or at least one that I cannot find. I took a picture of this one I found in my pennies from heaven collection because I have so many I lost track of the other 2 I have as they are all in huge baggie. I would sincerely appreciate any help I can get with coins I have, so I can get rid of the ones taking up my makeup drawers. Thank you kindly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55821 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kimberly - Please start your own thread.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9380 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

What coinfrog said plus please crop and rotate your photos as CCF instructions.
The better the pictures, the better we can help you.
Also please state exactly what it is you want to know about the coin so
that we aren't guessing.
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your reply was split into its own topic for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a normal cent, is there something about it that you feel makes it worth more than face value?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1041 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF.

If I understand your question correctly, LMC (Lincoln Memorial Cents) with no mint mark are minted in Philadelphia, (D for Denver, and S for San Francisco. coins of other years may have a 'P' mint mark - this also from the Philadelphia mint. Each having a value of one cent. Unless there is a grievous mint error on it - then the value may go up.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unlike other U.S. coins of the last 40 (or so) years, Lincoln cents don't carry a "P" mintmark for Philadelphia—except in 2017, when cents carried the "P".
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An example of a grievous error would be the doubled die reverse, or a large die flaw, etc.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kimberly74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your kind and prompt responses. I apologize for not really knowing how to navigate the forum as well as not taking my time to ask proper questions and post better picture etc..I have a huge bag of coins and before I ask or post again I'm going to better prepare. Thank you kindly and I hope you will still be willing and able to help.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries. Only way to learn is ask.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kimberly74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good Morning everyone,
I have gathered all my 1983 pennies and I believe I am better prepared to ask for help. So the 1st one is a 1983d Lincoln penny 2nd is a 1983 Lincoln penny with what appears to be very tiny lettering underneath date appears to me to resemble a V or M the other letter I cannot make out I have no magnifying glass to see it with 3rd appears to have some lettering in places that are odd like a p near Lincoln's necktie & a letter by nose also one over the numbers and one along rim on right side of coin. I could be crazy or going blind perhaps but I sincerely believe that my eyes are not deceiving me. I have horrible picture taking skills & after kids have broken numerous phones on me in past few months I have opted for cheap model which horrible at pics. Any suggestions from all you wonderfully helpful and kind collectors. Thank you again everyone. Also I have tons of old dated quarters and nickels as well as more pennies and a 2005 bison nickel or buffalo not sure as from NYC area so not many livestock roaming streets to know difference. I just need some suggestions on how to go about getting them all appraised or looked at without wasting my time not knowing what is what. Thanks again everyone.
Edited by Kimberly74
03/04/2021 05:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1041 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2005 bison nickel or buffalo not sure as from NYC area so not many livestock roaming streets

Nice!

The nickels are called 'Buffalo' nickels..

Anyway, A good way to start is to separate your coins by type (cents, Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, etc) then once done with that by date and mint mark.

Then go through your coins by type. it is much easier to find abnormalies or errors because you can see differences from one to another.

Once you have done that, take some good pictures of the coins you find interesting and post them up here. (one coin per post, please) you may make a lot of posts to get your coin up for us to look at, but it makes it easier to look and comment on each one without confusion.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kimberly74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so very much Mr. Dearborn you truly are a dear for responding in a caring and understanding manner. I've got the organization of shoes, makeup and clothing down pat but I honestly was overwhelmed and baffled at the coins and how to proceed. I am definitely going to do that as soon as I get chance today and will post pics etc..of anything I think may be worth keeping. I sincerely appreciate your help and since we have dubbed collection pennies from heaven I know heaven appreciates it too.
Have a great day and will post soon.By the way Mr. Dearborn I love your quotes they are insightful and uplifting thank you for those as well.
Edited by Kimberly74
03/04/2021 1:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1041 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Kimberly,
It's my pleasure to help. You will find MANY people here that will be here to help you identify your keeper coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1983 cents in anything but perfect, new condition (mint state) are worth exactly 1 cent. 1983's are very common and were minted in the billions. No point in saving them unless they are "new" like this one:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1034 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The collection doesn't sound too promising so far. Sounds like pocket change, aside from the "old quarters". Those have to be dated before 1965 to be worth anything
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 633Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05