Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 Peace Dollars In High Grades Are On 🔥

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 430Next Topic  

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RecedingHairlines to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone notice this? 64s have almost doubled in price in the last 2 months. I'm talking about the real world price on ebay, not greysheet. It's not lifting other Peace dollars apparently, this is limited to 1921s.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2189 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers are buying up the 1921 dated coins to pair with the 2021 dated coins that will be released by the mint later this year. If you think the prices are high now, just wait...
Valued Member
404 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with @nfine... I work with and for a few firms that do wholesale buying and selling of numismatic and philatelic material. Best comparison I can draw is with King Edward VIII definitive stamp first day covers - they are VERY common, but because a few huge firms are looking for them to include in sets / make special products out of, they are tough to get at the moment, and prices have surged as a result.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RecedingHairlines to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, I hadn't considered the 100 year anniversary factor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1034 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I called that one over a year ago. Sort of. I looked for the entire series to climb in price, and still do.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
2240 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my never-ending hunt for a fully struck 1921, the term "high grade" strikes a nerve every time. 1921 MS67's that look like bad carnival tokens irk me. No matter how shiny and flaw free they are, the beautiful design is ruined by poor striking. David Bowers said, "In fact, fewer than 10 1921 Peace dollars out of 1,000 are very sharply struck." Coin graders don't consider that at all.

This topic piqued my interest again. I've finally found 1921's that are struck as sharply as the best 1925-P's. Broadstrikes. Here's an example.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/192...ption-071515

They are not common and they are not inexpensive. but without the collar all the central details are fully struck. This is what America's best coin design (IMO) is supposed to look like. Wish I could afford one.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
03/04/2021 11:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
850 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dealers are buying up the 1921 dated coins to pair with the 2021 dated coins that will be released by the mint later this year. If you think the prices are high now, just wait...

...and in a couple of years from now these sets will flood the market (eBay) and sell for pennies on the dollar.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 430Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05