Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2011-D Lincoln Cent Pre-Cud On Obverse Near The VDB Initials/Letters?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 536Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Appears to be a Pre-Cud on Obverse near the VDB Initials/Letters? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Learn More...
United States
18982 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that looks pretty dramatic. It is big for a pre-cud, but not sure what else it could be.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the same thing Spence and thanks for looking
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1703 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna go out on the limb and say gouge. Looks like a furrow with pushed up metal in some areas.
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
2449 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a scratch to me

Pillar of the Community
United States
1553 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like a scratch in one picture but crack in the other. I think it is a pre cud! Nice find
Pillar of the Community
Canada
665 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Interesting. Attract me so I call my guy who is involved in production of dies (engendering).

Quote answer: " Funny we look for everything in mass production coins. He sad that if during re-polishing the die an scratch is done, then on electroplating copper plating will be accentuated due to the fact that this part had more zinc up so attract more ions. Way the dies are re-polish, because normally they work very well for 20 to 40k strike, then they re-polish again and third time and go for till max 100 to 120k strikes. Also told me that those dies are Iridium powder plated (second most harder element on the earth) for longevity of the die." end of his quote.

Also I will put here the photo which him send me back with his pointed things.

PS: Funny, my wife like this post because I have to cut some of my beers for 3 days due to the cost of long distance call. HiHiHi. (I will cut hers perfumes also)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38588 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a pre cud,IMHO. Scratch or struck through.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for there thoughts and comments. A keeper for sure!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50241 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any zinc visible? The field area looks like a cut to me.

It looks like a trench with metal raised on both sides, which could mean coin damage. The shape also doesn't look anything like a die crack on that area?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Perfect Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop for looking. It doesn't appear to have any zinc exposed and has a reflection from the camera lighting in the photograph that makes it appear that way. At the right side of the VDB letters near the rim, a break is visible to the midway point and then continues with a raised railroad track appearance then continues through to the rim again. At an angle the metal appears to be pushed up like a railroad track. I was unable to get a clear angled side photograph of the railroad type appearance. Interesting find view but I believe it doesn't appear to be a scratch or struck through.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
665 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
8 h ago long time, sorry busy with some trades.

Thanks PerfectError for your post, I find very interesting and instructive, also thanks to COOP for his participation (always the master).

Like I say before me and my friend it is a scratch and it is before plating due to the missing evidences of zinc up. Not a variety but an MSD. Anyways, was a very nice and interesting topic which teach and challenge us nice. Thanks.

Silvio
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05