Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 P Susan B Anthony Wide Rim Off Center Strike?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 453Next Topic  

United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I've been expanding some of my completed sets with varieties and errors. I've come across this 79P SBA and the seller claims it to be "Wide Rim" and "Off Center Strike". My eyesight is not what it once was, and the supplied photos are a bit on the dark side. After asking about the coin and supplying the Wide Rim example photos I have been trying to compare against, the seller seemed to be rather defensive.

Any opinions of this coin would be great. Below are the photos of the SBA and the reply I received.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1012 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal to me
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
United States
1012 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this an eBay listing?
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9458 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal. Maybe seller posted wrong pictures.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
5370 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the seller seems rather defensive. Perhaps he/she feels caught in a lie? This coin appears to be fairly normal to me. There are too many coins out there to fuss over this one. Not worth purchasing, in my opinion.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55749 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks very normal to me.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
600 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like collector, to have fun with the dealer, I will give 1$ tax included.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1609 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On 79-P SBA dollars there are "Wide" and "Narrow" rim varieties - can't 100% tell which one it is from the picture but I don't see any off center strike though.

Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
Canada
600 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rothery excellent explanation. Love 'it. Here in Canada we say hat down.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the seller seemed to be rather defensive.

There was absolutely nothing defensive about his reply.
He Thanked you for the information and made you aware of other coins he has. How does that offend you?

Edited by jasper62
03/04/2021 04:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1012 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silviosi
Quote:
Here in Canada we say hat down

Here in America, we say 'Hats Off'. Nearly the same thing..
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There was absolutely nothing defensive about his reply.
He Thanked you for the information and made you aware of other coins he has. How does that offend you?

Why do you say I was offended?

I only thought that this reply I received after pointing out that the coin was not a "Wide Rim" as the seller claimed was a bit defensive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why do you say I was offended?

OK maybe I used the wrong word. You took "issue" with his reply when there was nothing wrong with his reply. You took issue with his reply otherwise you wouldn't have complained and posted his reply saying he got defensive
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49965 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wide rim was added on the future years. Just the Wide rim for the 1999-P SBA dollar is a year variety.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
600 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jasper62, do not be mad. I understand that you are also dealer, but also very good on your answers here. Why to be frustrated because him say the dealer was on defense? You know a defense dealer are mean not honest, normal answer from a dealer is "oh, sorry I will look for , maybe mixt the packages and sorting, sorry." You know jasper if was me the dealer was blow up, hehehe. I am collector, not dealer. as collectors we buy stocks, large accumulations, companies and specific items from Sotheby's, Christie's ,Heritage and others few, but if a dealer go to far and wrong, sorry will pay. That is.

I find this post very instructive and interesting.

All my best,
Silvio
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 453Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05