Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stop Buying These Fake Korean Ultra Rarities On Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 499Next Topic  
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
462 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  08:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There has been a surge of faked Korean ultra-rarities on eBay coming out of Russia, the Ukraine, and other European states over the last few years. Someone has been producing these fakes and selling them for big money on eBay. They aren't even "Buy it Now"... They are bids and selling for hundreds to thousands of dollars. I've made three comparison graphics to show the subtle and obvious differences between the real (on the left) and fake (on the right). If anyone here is looking at these coins, please stop yourself from making a huge mistake, as apparently many people have done before. Lots of folks are noticing they are fakes and can't go through the hassle of sending it back to Russia. So, they just relist it and they STILL sell. Keep a close eye out on these.
Again, authentic coin is on the left, and faked coin is on the right:

Valued Member
455 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least when comparing, one can obviously see the differences.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2863 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the post! This isn't something I collect, but I do like them. There are so many counterfeit coins are on the market now that you REALLY need to have someone who's an expert on anything rare take a look at any coin before you buy. I'm glad you are watching these!
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4830 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having the side by side comparisons makes it perfectly obvious. Too bad the counterfeiters are getting away with blatant fraud. Not an area of collecting that I travel but thank you for the note of caution.

Our Forum Dad Bobby131313 has connections. If you ever see one of these blatant forgeries on eBay, post it as such with an eBay link and he is able to get the auction shut down many times.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Edited by chafemasterj
03/04/2021 10:14 am
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
462 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Our Forum Dad Bobby131313 has connections. If you ever see one of these blatant forgeries on eBay, post it as such with an eBay link and he is able to get the auction shut down many times.

That is good to know. I've tried to report them to no avail. I wish there was a function on eBay were collectors could vote on the authenticity of coins, especially ones like these. That way folks could at least think twice before buying them.

I think the folks actually buying these are thinking their getting a crazy deal. Authentic versions of these go from the tens of thousands to over 100K in some cases.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
647 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much sympathy from me I'm afraid. Not saying I condone such practices but then again, "A fool and their money are soon parted". I love Peace dollars and only own 1 ( inherited) but won't buy one until I know more about detecting the counterfeits. Spending thousands of dollars without doing your homework is just plain stupid.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
462 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not much sympathy from me I'm afraid.

I feel you. I am the same way about big purchases. Even when I'm sure that its real, I don't normally pick it up unless its been checked by a TPC. A sucker is born every day it seems.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 499Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05