Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1951 Canadian Dollar. Is It A "Woody"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 665Next Topic  
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Parents found this coin, along with quite a few other Canadian coins, cleaning out my great aunt's basement who recently passed. They sent me this picture...I have not seen the coin in person. Is this considered a woody or just very dark toning. Can't get good enough of a close up on the coin to tell if it is a SWL or not. They are up in Canada and can't get across the border due to Covid. Excited to see the other coins they found when the border reopens and share with you all.

Edited by DFry97
03/04/2021 8:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9368 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Woodie, not a SWL.
Just dark toning. I have one that is almost black from toning.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. Wonder what made the coin tone like that... science! Is it common for these coins to tone like that? I haven't seen many. All depends on the environment I guess.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1270 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Have a 1938 50 cent piece which I purchase in France. It is all black!!
despite all the black, ICCS graded it AU58.... a fun piece!
yes, WHY is it all black? both sides?
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen the obverse 47P7. I don't mind the darker toning. Gives the coin a nice old look!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  01:32 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woodies, in numismatics, refers to the toning that appears mostly on cents, plus maybe tombac, and other copper, bronze and brass coins. Possibly some loonies and other alloy coins may show it, but I don't believe any silver coin has ever been referred to as a woodie. Type "woodgrain" in the search page above and you can find 100's of posts and photos on this site.
Here's one of mine;

Edited by TerryT
03/05/2021 01:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4063 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver tones/ tarnishes quickly where there is a lot of sulfur in the air. I have seen that very dark toning a lot at my LCS.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
626 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are not as abundantly obtainable as some think.

I did an EBay search and came up with only 3 in Canada or Newfoundland coins.

Nice coin, TerryT!
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DFry97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info TerryT. That's some beautiful toning wow.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2566 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#agree : "woodie" pertains to rich earthy tones as found in copper/bronze, and not silver/white metals.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3843 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dollar from the OP is toned like that
Because it has probably been near a sulphur
Source ....... yup Furnace Toning!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3501 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone who has had to polish grandma's silver service that's been tucked away for 20 years in a box knows how "black" that silver can get.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
557 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one dark silver dollar in my collection. You come across them from time to time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1270 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DFry97
[Haven't seen the obverse 47P7quote]
here is an image, both sides.

Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coins toning can be black
Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On March 7, Levaril posted a 1935 quarter which looks like it has woodgrain toning, so amend my previous statement that there are no silver woodies.
Search or look for: "1935 quarter for your grading pleasure" in the Canadian grading section.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 665Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05