Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959 D Lincoln Memorial Cent Mint Error - Smooth Face

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 904Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3233 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  01:51 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am not entirely sure how this error occurred, and am looking for some insight. Just found it in a roll of BU coins, seemingly an original roll as there were a lot of matching dies, but just this one like this.

The reverse seems normal, as does most of the outer portions of the obverse. But Lincoln's face has been polished to a super smooth surface. I don't know if the diagonal lines are part of the planchet metal structure of if something came across the coin creating them. It has the look of a late stage struck through die cap although the only affected area is in the center.

Any help sorting this one out is appreciated.

1959-D Lincoln Memorial cent mint error - smooth face

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2823 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  04:17 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really want to say Grease Filled Die, but I'm not 100% sure. Interesting!
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool!
I would think that it was struck through a thin material such as clear tape. I have used that stuff before and noticed as it came off the roll that there were lines on it much like , for a better description, roller lines.
The lines on each side of the bust on this coin are flowing in the same direction but the angle is slightly different than they flow on the bust.
This seems to imply that the material that was struck through became trapped in position on the fields by the first kiss of the die but moved with the flow of the metal as it filled the bust.
The fields of the coin received much more pressure from the strike so evidence of the struck through material is less there . The bust receives less pressure so the impact on the design will be greater there.
Again, very cool find !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4727 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm clueless. All I can say is nice find.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50047 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent Mike a note on this one. I wondered if it was struck through a small piece of cello? Never seen this before.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2000 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to have been scuffed after it left the press. The shiny part of the face has hairline scratches that can be seen in the field on either side of the bust. I have no idea how, when, or where the damage was inflicted. It could have occurred inside the Mint or in a coin-wrapping facility.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not quite sure how a scrape can follow the general flow of the design evenly on the high and low points . The lines from the scrape also flowing along.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8413 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rather have a smooth head than a smooth brain
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3233 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll shoot some macro stuff this evening. I am not convinced a scrape could produce the proof-like finish on the coin as it is. We shall see what some close up work turns up. Seems to me the areas in the field that have lines are just additional polished areas not scratch marks.
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. Hope the close scope work reveals and answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2070 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going with the scrape/rub. My reasoning is because the "scratches" don't affect the areas immediately around the raised areas. Still looks cool.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Abe got sick of the wiskers and dun gone to the barber and got a shave .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1042 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to go with a buffing wheel went over the device and field in a direction from the right to left.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm going to go with a buffing wheel went over the device and field in a direction from the right to left.

I'll agree with Dearborn on this scenario. Maybe with the macro setting it might show a little more to this coins story. Not sure I've told you but have always enjoyed your pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2117 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There doesn't appear to be as many nicks and dings in the affected area which makes me think it happened after it was struck.

Can you give us one more image at the forehead and field?
It's hard to tell if the effect ends at the forehead or continues onto the field.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3233 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Took a few more images and did some zoom in inspection. Sadly, the surface is mirror-like and I just can not get the darn thing in super sharp focus. But I can say that upon close inspection I agree that the area has been rubbed by something and is not a struck through sort of event. Mike is right as usual (thanks Mike!).

The only other thing of note I saw was that inside the ear and around the edge of the beard and lips there is a small amount of grease deposit. Kind of like the coin got stuck in a rubber conveyor briefly and got buffed, with the event leaving some crud in at the bottom of steep spots on the coin. Make sense?

It was an original roll (there were multiples of most dies including 6 RIDB-1C-1959D-01 in there) and my guess is, as Mike suggests, an event that occurred after the strike either at the mint or the rolling place.

I still think it is a very nifty neat-o looking coin, just not an error coin as I thought.

Sorry for the fuzzy pics, but best I could do without much camera mayhem. Good luck interpreting the ear photo as it is pretty confusing.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 904Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05