Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What A Coin? Please Help With Identify

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,287Next Topic
Page: of 2
Ukraine
11 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arturxx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your help!
Ukraine
11 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arturxx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin weighs 3.72-3.73 g.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4646 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... the second head being as large is not almost larger than the first is the oddest part to me.

There are types for which this is typical (749, 751, 753) but not with BOXX rev. (at least as far as my searching took me).

Starts to make you wonder if it's a forgery combining elements of the two types. One can find differences between the OPs coin and recently sold examples with this combination of portraits (the hairs in the long beard are more parallel; Heraclius COnstantine's moustache droops downward on both sides). But if we're comparing to the wrong reference coin ... However, the weight is right (I realize that isn't always diagnostic )

Edited by tdziemia
03/06/2021 10:10 am
Ukraine
11 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arturxx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your opinion, but I cannot admit the opinion that this is a fake, unless someone buried it on purpose. Could this be a lightweight solid with the obverse that you indicated?
I found another coin with Boxx on the reverse:
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
885 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Auturxx;

Well I don't think tdziemia was saying it was fake as much as it could be a contemporary imitation of the barbarians or unlisted. From the site below I referenced earlier and again below: (Mentions Dnieper Delta and notice the "BOXX" reference as well.

-->"Bauer further reports that his colleague Zograph, while spending the summer in southern Russia in 1927, was shown seven Byzantine solidi that were ostensibly found associated with other valuable utensils in the Dnieper Delta. There were six coins of Heraclius and one piece of Constans II. All of the coins of the three-emperor type, and Bauer unfortunately does not record how many there were included in this hoard, were marked BOXX. There is hardly enough information published concerning this hoard to make possible any very significant inferences or conclusions, but it is certainly most probable that the contents of this hoard were also exported to Russia between 641 and 668 A.D. Since there is no mention of these coins being used in the manufacture of jewellery, we may presume that they were intended for commercial purposes, and perhaps the hoard was buried relatively quickly after it left the Empire."<--

http://numismatics.org/digitallibra...95/nnan29265
Edited by louisvillekyshop
03/06/2021 1:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4646 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@louisville, I think the article you've referenced might be the key, since it covers a large number of coins marked BOXX pertaining to regions near where this coin was found, but the recent auction archives have nearly none of these.

And I will remove my nose from an area I don;t know much about
Edited by tdziemia
03/06/2021 2:21 pm
Ukraine
11 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arturxx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, the site was not noticed for the first time. The information is useful, because the coin was found near the Irdyn River (as far as I know, there was a Dnieper arm there before).
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05