Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Graffitied 1837 Half Dime; Why Do You Collect Early American Coinage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 298Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  3:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently came across this 1837 half dime and thought it would make a nice addition to my collection. It doesn't come across as anything spectacular, and I'm sure many of you would even consider this piece to be too damaged beyond having any collecting value. Personally, I find this coin to be one of the coolest in my collection. Perhaps someone back in the day was trying to carve a Confederate flag on Lady Liberty's staff during a tumultuous time in American history? To think of all the moments in history this coin has witnessed and survived through drives my imagination wild.

This coin has gotten me interested in wanting to collect old American coinage, especially coins minted prior to the Civil War. I'd love to know the reasons behind anyone in this forum who enjoys collecting old American coinage so maybe a younger numismatist can get some knowledge
Learn More...
United States
18841 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@newguy, for sure that intentional graffiti gives this coin character just as it removes numismatic value. What is most important is that *you* like it. Well done!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55716 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most unusual for sure!
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were up for sale, id still pay between 5 to 10 dollars for this specimen.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1034 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few love tokens, for the same reasons as yourself. As far as collecting early coinage, I'm the rare type who passes on high grade examples for a nice "worn" example. I would absolutely take a very-fine Capped Bust over an AU or better any day.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 298Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05