Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Too Good To Be True? NGC Graded .9999 1/2 Oz Gold Commemerative For $100?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 654Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  7:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was bumbling around on the web and came across this. A proof 69, 2017, .999, a St. Gaudens Indian commemerative 1/2 oz. gold coin for $99.99? Scrolling down, a 1/2 oz. gold American Eagle for the same price? However, other coins on the site have prices that are pretty much the market. This gave me the he-be-gee-bees. The old saying that if a deal seems to too good, it problably is bougus or however the saying goes. coins worth $900 for $100? I checked the NGC verification, the coin itself is legitimate.

https://www.cetemexsar.com/index.ph...cts_id=81329

I did some more bumbling around and saw this website has a pretty crappy reputation... about 31 days established, no phone contact number, a weird "contact" thing which directs you to a weird website, etc. No positive reviews, plenty of bad references in the form of 8 angry faces, no happy faces, and a "trustworthy" website recommendation that you should not do business with the website, etc.

What I did notice that, in real life, like any really good liar, is that a good liar will mix in the truth (average ok coin deals) with outright lies (too good to be true deals)

https://www.aetrustscore.com/listin...temexsar.com

I personally have learned from the old "too good to be true" lesson, so I will not do business with them. Just curious as to what you more experienced collectors might think about it. I'm problably passing up thousands by ignoring them should they be real, but I just don't buy it (no pun intended).

mike

Edited by 4504
03/06/2021 8:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3341 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SCAM, SCAM, SCAM, YOU WILL NEVER GET THE COINS LISTED.. they are preying on the gullible..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56029 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, total scam.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think there are different levels of scams. For instance, on some of the jewelry or coin shopping tv networks claiming an item is worth $20,000, but they got it on sale for $499.00 (with flex-pay)! So you take your $20,000 jewelry or coin to a jewelry or coin shop expecting to make a killing, but the most they will pay you is $20. I tune into those channels merely to see the theatrics, the sellers are just gushing and fainting about what an unbelieveable deal it is. For a very good time regarding this subject, find the episode called "cash for gold" on South Park, very entertaining. I have heard that it is nearly impossible to scam an honest person.
Edited by 4504
03/06/2021 9:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True story. I worked as a deputy sheriff for my life, now retired. It came to our attention that an elderly lady was about to pay many thousands of dollars for an obvious scam. We told her that and she refused to believe us. We were able to convince her relatives not to let her go thru with it, the next thing is that she contacted a lawyer and was intending to sue US (the department) for preventing her from making a fortune! Nothing ever came of it. I think it was one of those Nigerian scams where you would receive MILLIONS if you just paid the back taxes or some other nonsense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let NGC know their good name is being defamed by a crook selling fake coins in their slabs.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ed, the coin appears to real bc I verified it with the NGC verification page, but it is appears that the seller is either fake and/or problably does not even posses it. Or maybe it is how you say, I have heard of fake coins being put in real slabs, or fake coins being put in fake slabs. I have not heard of this particular coin being counterfeited yet, but there is always a place for fakes to start up. In any case, I know what you meant, maybe it is that way here. This is why I never get a coin that comes from China, as they seem to be the king of fakes. And I never understood why or how China got ahold of so many American or other foreign coins not originating from China, slabbed or not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2830 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  05:52 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm selling EVERYTHING I own so I can buy every coin on the site. Even selling my loyal pet, Senna the Standard Schnauzer!

Check this out!

I looked at other items for sale on the site and saw the "100 LBS Copper Bullion Pennies 1959-1982 US Cents by the Pound W/ Wheat Backs &." I did a search on the images used and found the same picture in an ebay listing with exactly the same title, down to the cutoff after the "&" because they reached the ebay title character limit. They also offer FREE shipping on this 100 pounds of coins, as it's over $40. The ebay listing calls for $147 in shipping cost.

https://www.cetemexsar.com/100-lbs-...-p-79652.htm

They are copying listings from other sites on the web, setting a price that's so far off that only a CRAZY (or smart) person would pass up, and just watching the cash roll in! How many people will order from them before they take the money and RUN?
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
03/07/2021 08:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15067 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC is not to blame here ,It's this scam artist seller , dealer, who ever the heck he is . Like mentioned above he'll take your money and you'll never get the coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yoko, I do not know how many people they have taken (or rather... got themselves took), but let's say 32 days worth of people so far. And do not sell your beloved Schnauzer! They have loads of personality, as does my preferred dog, a mini dashschund. I once saw a real survey a number of years ago which asked men, if they had to be stuck on a desert island with either their dog or their wife, 6 out of 10 said their dog! no offense to the ladies here. heck, I don't remember... the question could have been put to the ladies, either their husbands or dogs but the results were the same.

Seriously, these scam sites would not exist if it were not for greedy or gullible buyers. I am not blaming the buyers, but they do bear some responsibility for not checking out the seller before they buy.

A side scam story... years ago, a Chinaman guessed my password (well I learned not to use your user name to not be the same as your password so that was on me), hijacked my account, then changed everything and I was locked out of my own account, unable to do anything about it except send a message to ebay. These were the days of if you wanted to contact ebay and get a response right away, your odds of booking a flight on the space shuttle were better.

chinaman then proceeded to list dozens of designer, $600-$1,200 handbags. you know how the ladies go nuts about their handbags. And since the seller appeared to be me, with hundreds of 100% positive feedbacks as a seller and the living in the USA, the buyers had nothing to fear. He sold dozens of purses at prices I think around $200 before ebay finally shut him down and I got my account back.

Now here is the kicker... I got numerous positive feedbacks from the ladies, several of whom made multiple purchases. They were delighted with their purses! The fake purses were of such high quality copies that not one person found that out and called out that they were fakes. I guess the old saying "what you don't know won't hurt you" came into play here, altho that is not 100% true.

And that was years ago, when it was not too difficult to make out Chinese coin and slab copies, especially the slabs, with mis-aligned labels, different shades of clearness in the slabs, bad english in the listing like "you buy now Joe, your best worldwide satisfaction is top goal here", etc. but now they are so good at the slabs, even a few of the experts are fooled unless they are looking good and hard and they must have hired people better at writing english as they are normal now.

Most wars are sparked involving ships of two nations... Pearl Harbor, The Tonkin incident (if you believe it), the Spanish-American war (the USS Maine being blown up at anchorage), etc. I say that coins are as valued as ships or more (and I used to be in the navy) and we declare war on China for selling fakes. Call it "the great Chinese fake coinage war" or something like that. Ok, I am kidding
here...well, sorta... but apparantly the virus, millions dead, means nothing as far as consequences go. ok, starting to get political so that is then end of that... I do not wish to get banned... again... I have to admit the moderators here do have a sense of humour, the last time I got banned they sent me a message which said "enjoy your vacation" haha mike
Edited by 4504
03/07/2021 09:58 am
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4504 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here is something to hold onto. show your grandkids your life had meaning! well, at least it is not a scam. with a few thousand of these one could finance a trip to disneyland.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1907-INDIA...224369473121
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was valid, why sell to you for $99 when they can take all of those and get $850 or so a piece for the gold content. Its pure nonsense.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 654Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05