Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1 Cent 1985 Double Die?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 301Next Topic  

Switzerland
16 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  05:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bvlro6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I have found this 1 cent 1985 D, which might have a doubling of the "D" letter mint mark (no doubling elsewhere). I am not an expert in errors, in fact I just started looking into those and I am currently learning about them. So, it is difficult for me to say if this is indeed a double die or something else.

I would really appreciate if somebody with more experience could take a look at the attached pictures and let me know what they think.

The "doubling" around the D letter is a bit puzzling to me. It has a different color compared to the rest of the coin. Is it something else? maybe dirt of some kind?

Thank you for all your help!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2814 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  06:28 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Your coin is showing Split Plate Doubling. This happens on copper plated zinc cents when the strike pressure splits the copper layer and exposes the zinc core underneath. It's common and doesn't add any value and it's not true doubling.

Good question on your part and REALLY nice photography!
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Switzerland
16 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bvlro6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your answer. I have to be honest and confess that I have never heard of Split Plate Doubling! So, this is great, I am learning new things.

Thank you for the compliment regarding the photos. I am an amateur photographer currently working on improving my coin photography skills. I still have some work to do, things to learn and some equipment to buy...

Best!

Cristian
Pillar of the Community
United States
3547 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice photos! Yes, it's a matter of split plating.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38446 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Check out our photography section.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7048 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! A good place to spend time on learning is error-ref.com. A lot of pics and explanations to help.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49961 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been happening since 1982 when the Zincolns' made there ugly appearance. First was the issue with the rinse technique to remove the zinc dust that was being plated over giving the orange peel texture. Then the split plating issues and now the ridge ring die breakdown issue. Whats next, there will always be a new curve thrown at us.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 301Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05