Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toonies Going Dull - Any Advice?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 867Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I collect circulating Canadian coins and recently noticed that some of the toonies are looking very dull.

I typically find new coins, often from circulation mint rolls, and put the best ones in flips, expecting them to retain their bright shiny mint lustre.

Now the centres are appearing dull and have lost heir shine. I even took a few out of the flips to make sure I'm not seeing things.

I use Leuchtturn Matrix self- adhesive flips. They are described as being archival quality liner, free of PVC, acids or chemical softeners. These are then stored in the 20 pocket pages (which likely have pvc) but never come in contact with the coins. I've confirmed there are no holes in the flips, and I always ensure I seal the flips properly.

Anyone with similar experience, or maybe know what I might be doing wrong?

Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add, I'm not sure it's every toonie. Although time will tel.

I sometimes give them a very light rub with a microfibre cloth to remove any fingerprints. Wondering if that could start some sort of reaction?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9701 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you referring to newer Toonies?
From 1996 to 2012, the inner core was copper.
In 2012, the mint changed the inner core to Multi-ply brass plated aluminum bronze.
Maybe this has something to do with it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8363 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wondering if that could start some sort of reaction?
Yeah, you're likely to a few comments telling you to avoid doing that.
Instead of using the cloth dip them in acetone, rinse in clean acetone and then let them air dry for a few seconds.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm referring to the newer toonies (2012 onwards).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4706 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to your drug store, ask them to save a day or two of the pill dryers drop a few into a large enough zip lock bag that will fit your pages or binder, my guess it's cause by humidity mainly
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll definitely be more mindful of humidity.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
672 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I switched from soft pocket pages to archival photo-slide pages many years ago. It's working well for me. Also, ring binders can probably offgas PVC.
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Scissel. Do you believe that PVC off-gassing can affect coins even if they are in flips? I'm starting to think that is my issue.

My coins are all stored in the same area, so I don't think humidity is the issue, as it seems only the ones in flips AND in PVC pockets are noticeably going dull.
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As a bit of an update, I took a closer look at one the dull coins, and it had a rough feel to it almost as if it were coated with something.  I rubbed it vigorously with a micro-fibre cloth, and the dull 'coating' came off and underneath it was the original shiny lustre.    As a note, the dullness has no obvious colour (e.g. it's NOT green).  Any ideas what this might be?

Before anyone suggests I shouldn't be cleaning coins, note these are  modern circulating Canadian coins that I can find in my change, so I'm not concerned.  Just want to find out what's going on.  Thanks

Here is a pic of the dull coin compared to the original.
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a pic of a toonie from a flip that has been in a pvc pocket for the past couple of years. I was able to rub off the dull coating (note that has NOT been dipped, just rubbed with a cloth).

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4706 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your toonie looks like environmental problems
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100, thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you don't think this is PVC, but rather tarnish due to other factors? Would those factors be humidity, handling, etc? Sorry for the questions, I don't have a ton of experience with this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4706 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You said you are using high quality sleeves your toonie looks like a humidity problem, new circulated toonies and loonies looks like the dull crappy finish in only a few months, I think my first thought with the drug store and large zip lock bag solve most of the problem
Valued Member
Canada
77 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cedargrove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again John.

It's possible I put these coins in flips during humid times. Some flips were then put in plastic pockets right away while some were not put in plastic pockets. Maybe the plastic pockets prevented the humidity from escaping from the flips. This would certainly explain what I'm experiencing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My studies are not finish yet. I do 'it more for the proof silver coins from the sets who turn yellow.

The preliminary results show IrCl3 oxide. which it is cl 3 iridium oxide in contact with oxygen, I can say better with humidity and slow drying.

Probably this phenomena could apply also to the nickel coated coins because Ni act similar with Iridium.

This make me thing to the hardeners of the dies. Manny countries adopted the iridium powder coating of dies for longer and bigger strength.

The final results will talk.

PS: The Mint do not want to discuss this problematic with theirs coins. the only answer they give is storage of coins, point, so is you responsibility not theirs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 867Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05