Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Barbarous ID Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 221Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  3:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys-

Digging through my Roman barbarous coins I found one that does not fit the normal pattern and I am trying to narrow it down a bit. Yes, I know that this is not much of interest to most and not highly researched, but I am curious if anyone else on the board has more information.

AE 12mm and 1.32 grams. Because of the small size and weight, it was probably minted after the tariff change of 337. The obverse bust is facing left instead of right. I am thinking eastern empire mimicking Constantius II. Any ideas?

Edited by pendrak
03/07/2021 4:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6050 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imitation Constantinople commemorative
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Finn235
I took that idea into consideration because of the reverse, but the big ugly fat guy on the obverse makes me not think so. Also, the 12mm size is a bit small. OK- still thinking eastern empire- where?
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not only a Constantinopolis copy, but it is copying Lyons, which is easily figured out by the obverse style and the distinctive shield on the reverse.

official example with same style shield--

Edited by Victor
03/07/2021 5:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So we are looking at Gaul and around Lyons area about 350AD or so?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Bastien (ANSMN 30, p. 144-145), "A second wave of imitations began in the last few years of Constantine's reign and went on up to a date which is difficult to determine precisely, between 342 and 348. It copies the types Gloria exercitus with both two standards and one, Urbs Roma, Constantinopolis, Pax publica and Pietas romana, in modules which decrease in size and end up in minimissimi of 0.30 g and 7 mm and even less". Later, in regard to this same group of imitations, he writes (p. 165), "From the evidence gathered from hoards and from coins found on sites, we know that they circulated mainly in Gaul and Britain." The first "wave" implied above began with the reform of 318 and included prototypes issued from 318 through 330. See Pierre Bastien, 'Imitations of Roman Bronze Coins, A.D. 318-363' in Museum Notes 30 (1985), American Numismatic Society, pp. 143-177 and plates. As with most other ANS publications, it should be available to read online or download free of charge at hathitrust.org.
Edited by Kushanshah
03/07/2021 11:16 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05