Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1778-1928 Cook Half Dollar Help Please

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,057Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, good luck indeed!
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's good enough for me. Okay. Thanks for the positives people! As usual it's a pleasure speaking with y'all and I WILL let you know the outcome.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: Does anyone know how long does an invoice number or submission form lasts? Does it expire if you don't send in your coins after a certain amount of time? I finished a submission form back in April and I have yet to send in my coin for grading at NGC. Reason being is I can't find the darn water activate paper tape required when sending in items via Registered Mail. Our darn post offices and office supply stores don't have it and I literally searched for months. I am planning to just send it in as the normal priority mail. Anyone?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7269 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I literally searched for months.

I'm a bit confused - does Amazon not sell items in Hawaii?

I use regular Priority mail (insured) when I ship coins to PCGS and have never had an issue. That is also how they ship the coins back to me.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to almost every office supply store on the island and most didn't even know what I was talking about..I went to multiple post offices asking if they could package it for me with that special tape but they don't carry it LOL..within a couple months time I'd venture out into the community and online searching for this tape and the closest I got was a HUGE roll that cost a couple hundreds of dollars #128542;...I still don't know what it's called exactly but it is required to send Registered mail because of its tamper proof design and made out of paper so it can absorb the ink they will stamp or sign it with. I know I am kinda going off the topic of this post but I figured this information can help someone in the future. But I think I'll take that advice and just mail it via USPS priority mail. Thank you!

But back to my question about submission forms and if it does actually expire? Anyone?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.amazon.com/Reinforced-A...Y2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And I would just fill out a new submission form
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6525 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazon is a good source for the tape - it's referred to as reinforced paper tape. FWIW, I picked mine up at a local pack-n-ship store vs. a general office supply store.

The NGC Submission Forms do not expire, per se, but they can become obsolete due to fee changes, service tier changes, etc. I would check the latest forms for such updates, if you don't see any changes I would not worry about using your previously completed form(s).

Regarding mailing options, I like the extra level of service associated with Registered Mail. Priority mail doesn't receive the same level of attention, but, as others have indicated, generally delivers good results.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I got word on my coin and it got the AU-Details (CLEANED) rating..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6525 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I got word on my coin and it got the AU-Details (CLEANED) rating..

Thanks for the update! Unfortunately, it's not too big of a surprise. As noted above, the surfaces didn't look quite right.

As one of the keys to the classic series, however, it still has value but it's up to you to decide if you want a cleaned/Details coin in your collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did I make an amateur mistake by going with conservation? According to them there was some kind of residue that made the surface appearance grainy. But I had no idea that it would alter the surface look so dramatically. I'm afraid it may have lost its unique look and possibly lowered its value #128542;
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't say whether the cost of the conservation was worth it in terms of the final price if/when you sell it. However, future prospective buyers are not searching for a coin with a "unique" look, especially if that uniqueness is actually some kind of residue.
Personally, if my only choices were between an AU coin that looked off, had environmental damage, and was cleaned vs. a straightforward AU-cleaned coin that doesn't look off, I would choose the latter.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, when you submit a coin for conservation, you are automatically agreeing to have it graded?
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well first I had been informed via e mail that my coin was eligible for NGC conservation due to residue and when arrived at NGC conservation a team of experts would determine whether the coin would benefit from being cleaned or if there would be risk of damaging it. After I approved the cleaning through a simple reply to the email saying "yes" I pretty much left the outcome in the hands of the Conservation experts. Ultimately they removed the residue and as a result my coin could only receive at the most an AU DETAILS rating because they had cleaned it. After it was cleaned I believe it automatically goes back to NGC for grading which would automatically result in an AU xxxx - CLEANED grade. Correct me if I'm wrong on this
Edited by Wiquiocho
09/16/2021 7:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that seems rather self-serving. Does anyone know whether a NGC-conserved coin always receives a details grade?
Edited by Coinfrog
09/16/2021 7:42 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,057Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05