Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1778-1928 Cook Half Dollar Help Please

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,069Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree haha. Had I known that conservation meant an automatic AU grade I wouldn't have done it and would've take a risk in hopes of an MS graded coin. #128533;
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61483 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone out there must have some insight into this question.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6533 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know whether a NGC-conserved coin always receives a details grade?

In my personal experience, it is not automatic. I have had coins that were conserved come back with grades of MS and PF without any reference to "Details."

Coins receive the "Details" label if they have surface issues independent of NGC conservation efforts.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4010 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better question .
Why make NCS rich ?
Most of the stuff they do to your
Coin when conserving it is easily
done yourself , IF you know what you are doing .
One example always soak any thing not obviously
NEW ( ie Gem Mint State , Gem Proof , or pleasing toning )
in either pure acetone or KOIN SOLV if you can find it .
NO rubbing or wire brushes!
The methods the conservers use are hardly proprietary!
Anyone can learn how to properly conserve coins for pennies!
Edited by Pacificoin
09/17/2021 10:23 am
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Honestly. I believe this should've gotten a higher grade. Comments?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6533 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Honestly. I believe this should've gotten a higher grade. Comments?

I'm not sure why you believe the coin is under-graded. Your latest images clearly show wear/metal loss. A coin can't be accurately called "mint state" if it exhibits wear.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7271 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with commems. There is obvious metal loss/wear visible on the coin and an AU grade is the correct technical judgment of the circulated state.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiquiocho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a student amongst masters. I now see what you mean. I hope one day my eyes are as sharp, my knowledge is vast, and my words are spoken with the confidence which can only be acquired through years of experience. As always fellas I thank you for your wisdom and speedy replies. Happy hunting to us all!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6533 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Wiquiocho: Happy to help! I like your long-term outlook on how to be a better collector - experienced-based knowledge can be a powerful tool and make collecting much more rewarding!

Happy hunting to you as well!

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,069Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05