Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 DDO Machine Doubling?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 229Next Topic  

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  8:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AurthurDent42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At first glance was going to discard it thinking it was Machine Doubling, however on closer inspection, we realized that it was not shelf-like. Thought we had better check before spending it. Thanks for your time all, you are awesome.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55923 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Machine Doubling, but larger images would help.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
03/07/2021 8:29 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm not a Shield Cent fan but I have to admit that since I found a DDO Shield Cent I have become a tad bit more interested in them. The ear on your cent looks like a hit in my opinion and from your pics I agree with Coinfrog on MD to other aspects. I'm not sure if it is glare from your picture but LIBERTY does look fairly interesting to me. Like Coinfrog mentioned, a larger pic would be beneficial to those on the forum. Good clear quality pics definitely help on something like this.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AurthurDent42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have fancy equipment so this is the best I can do at the moment, I'm still learning how to use the CAM I have. Hope this helps. As my brilliant wife pointed out, It looks like it may be tripled? It looks like it is later in the die's life, you can see evidence of die polish. Thanks for the help guys, we're kind of excited.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AurthurDent42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have fancy equipment so this is the best I can do at the moment, I'm still learning how to use the CAM I have. Hope this helps. As my brilliant wife pointed out, It looks like it may be tripled? It looks like it is later in the die's life, you can see evidence of die polish. Thanks for the help guys, we're kind of excited.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your cent looks to be a normal 2020 D penny. What looked odd in your beginning picture showing LIBERTY I can now see was not what it appeared to be. Different lighting angles can make a huge impact and difference in the way the devices (or letters and numbers) can appear in a photo and what others see. At first glance it looked to me like LIBERTY possibly had some notching but I don't think that is the case. Your recent pictures are more close-up with a different lighting angle and I can now see this. I believe the date distortion you are seeing is a result of Machine Doubling as well or possibly lighting issues. There's still a lot of glare in your photos. Being MD, notice how the 'raised' or 'higher' looking stamped numbers in the date are much thinner than the underlying ones. This is a classic form of Machine Doubling. Hope this helps. Keep on looking and when you find a true doubled die you will never look back. Visit Coppercoins.com and Lincolncentresource.com and you can gather a tremendous amount of info on this stuff.
Edited by Scuba1
03/08/2021 12:59 am
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AurthurDent42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wife and I were talking about the MD thing and true DD's, in spots we see tripling. This will no doubt seem like a stupid question but here go's. If true DD's are due to a flaw in the die itself and MD is due to a "skip" in the pressing then why cant you see a machine doubled double die? It looks to me like a counter clockwise spread over most of the devices yet a shelf MD like doubling clockwise. P.S. Thanks so much for the reference links! I can tell already it will be a HUGE help.

Edited by AurthurDent42
03/08/2021 02:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2820 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  05:03 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling is different from a doubled die.

DDs are doubling on the die, rather than the coin. Machine Doubling is flat and shelf-like.

You'll learn that these shield cents, especially the 2020s and the 2017s are absolutely stock full of illusion-like Machine Doubling.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38503 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is your coin taking photo set up? Maybe we can give you some pointers. One thing you really need to do is filter your light source.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05