Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dragon Slayers, An Interesting 1700 Year Old Cross Over

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 291Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2568 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  8:39 pm Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The first coin (left) shown is said to be from 300 BC,

However ST.George (2nd coin right) is reported to have lived & passed away 600+ years later.

I find it really interesting that followers of ST.George "stole" a 600 year old effigy (other than modern sword vs spear, the details are too similar to ignore).

Long story short, as a total dragon slayer fan I will be aiming to add a CALABRIA Tarentum ancient to my collection, but they aren't cheap (hope my wife isn't listening in!)

Makes me wonder how many other designs have been "recycled"?

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money" ™
Edited by Wade
03/07/2021 8:48 pm
Learn More...
United States
18923 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wade, undoubtedly you are aware of the "post a picutre of a coin depicting a dragon" thread, but just in case you missed it:

http://goccf.com/t/352826

Not all of the dragons are in the process of being slayed, but it is interesting to see the various designs.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2568 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Spence,

actually I very rarely venture outside the Canadian forums, so was not aware of that thread - so Thank You !
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money" ™
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18366 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting.
There isn't a dragon on the ancient coin shown here, but it can be reasonably argued that Benedetto Pistrucci got the inspiration for his design from ancient coins.

Same has happened for designs on modern American neo classical designs, such the Pan Pacific gold $50 Half Union, the St Gaudens Double Eagle, and the Liberty Walking half dollar to name only a few.
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its similar, but I'm not sure Pistrucci used this design; a character in heroic nudity on a horse is a subject fairly common on ancient coins from the hellenic world...

Also, St-George slaying the dragon on a rearing horse has been depicted at least 350 years before Peatrucci design, the big difference here is that he depicted St-George as a greek hero.
Edited by Dollar 1935
03/08/2021 01:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18366 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
St George and Dragon motifs have also appeared on Russian coins before the time of Pistrucci.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05