Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Investing In Rare Coins Gives Mediocre Returns

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,089Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can open my ETrade account and not get all that excited. Or I can flip thru my classic commemorative album or my type set album and wonder who held these coins a century ago. I guess that's a dividend.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8520 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing is a good investment if you look at the M1 money supply. On March 2, 2020, there was $4,000,000,000 in the money supply, by mid May, there was $16,000,000,000. The last update was Feb 1st, after the latest Stimulus Bill I'd love to see what that number updates to. Inflation is coming...

Valued Member
Canada
194 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As an Econ student I'd like to point out that the effect of a cash influx isn't exactly the same at full and VERY partial employment. No need to look at MMT to confirm that!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5231 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"... investing in rare coins is a non-brainer"

That is correct EXCEPT you need to understand it as investing in rare coins demonstrates not using your brain to do research.
Coins (including rare coins) are a personal interest activity, not an investment.
It would be of no surprise to me if the "Experts on YouTube" sell coins for a living.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far I have lost $86 buying and reselling my 19th Century coins, which comes down to about a 20% loss. I guess this is mainly due to auction and shipping fees.
In most cases, gross sales are very close to the original buying price, but in a few cases the price of coins have apparently collapsed in the space of 6 months. Case in point: the 3C Nickel I bought last Fall for $66 is now worth $14.
The only coin I made a profit on so far is a 1857-O Seated Liberty half dime which I bought for $107 and sold for $114 (after taxes and fees).
Edited by NumisEd
03/23/2021 2:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1041 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you're just not selling them to the right people ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much choice about the buyers when selling on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1041 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tried buy-it-now listings?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
tried buy-it-now listings?

That works better indeed if you are looking to get a higher price, but it may take a long time to sell the coin.
However, I just want to get rid of my coins and using an auction format takes care of that.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RecedingHairlines to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stack's auction results from the 80s are a fair indication of what has done well long-term and what hasn't. What has done poorly? Morgans. What has done much better? Anything minted before 1800. Of course even those lag behind the returns of an Apple or Microsoft.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you live in the US, IMHO your biggest ROI can be on world coins.

Yes, yes and yes. I picked up some of my favorite coins at coin shows by selling foreign coins I had picked up out of junk boxes at 5 or 6 to $1.

Once I traded for a WWI French 20 franc based on 280 modern (not silver) Swiss francs that I may have had maybe $30 in. I have a few 19th century crowns (French, Belgian, Spanish -- Alphonso XIII?, Dutch) that I obtained from swapping 18th and 19th century copper and silver. Maybe 20 MTTs, ditto.

Oh, but if I had known of this site then, I had some wonderful purchases that I would not have given up so cheaply.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put it simply, look at this as a hobby and don't think you'll get rich and you'll be better off.

I've also tried Kondo's suggestion about keeping only what sparks joy which has helped me keep my collection specialized and not buying coins just to add coins which has saved my budget.

That said, while I'm not buying random coins just to have them, my taste has also gotten more expensive which hasn't helped my wallet.

I mainly collect ASEs and while I know I won't likely profit on most of the proofs I have, I take comfort in knowing overall I'm in the black due to the gems I have that are part of the run of the mill proofs.

The $160 (and mental aggravation) investment in trying to get the 2019-S ERP from the mint directly and to have it graded is now worth $2k if I wanted to sell it now with it being a 70.

The $170 I spent on obtaining and grading the V75 Silver Eagle can now fetch me $600 with the right buyer as a PF70.

So while most of the coins I have won't make me money or make me rich, I can take comfort that overall my collection is worth something that can be sold if needed, and can still hold and enjoy in the process.

Quote:
If you live in the US, IMHO your biggest ROI can be on world coins.

Don't disagree, but you have to be into it and know what you're looking for. You could show me a world coin probably worth more than a car and my eyes might glaze over since I won't know what it is (until you told me the value). You have to know what you're looking for and in order to acquire that knowledge, you have to be passionate about it.
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
68 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand, a rare coin is any coin which you don't own because you can't afford it.

Sho' 'nuff.
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
68 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel better about all this already. There's only one rare-ish (scarce is more like it, tho) coin I've ever really wanted to own, and that's a very high-grade Flying Eagle cent. And now I own an 1857 and all my dreams have been fulfilled and I can go on with life. As for value, it was a no-brainer for me because high-quality FECs have always been in demand, and always will be for the forseeable future, so when I'm dead, my kid's going to end up with a highly desirable coin worth a notable chunk of change. It won't fund a house down payment, but it'll pay the rent for the month if things go bad.

I have other things in my modest collection, but they're proofs that I've collected simply because I liked 'em and that was that. Being proofs doesn't hurt none, either. Overall tho, having bullion (particularly gold) seems to be the bigger no-brainer, no?
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypsetCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't agree more with OP. Sports cards are on fire and have generally risen since the 1980's with them recently making new highs. I think the demand for sports cards is allot higher than coins and that why things are the way they are.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,089Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05