Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 VDB Penny Proof Or Not

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 639Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  07:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sbmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I recently purchased this coin a 1909 vdb penny and I was wondering if it can possibly be a proof coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3593 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Please post full pics of the coin's obverse and reverse. We need to see the entire coin--large and sharp. Thanks.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sbmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sbmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
38494 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I am going to say not a proof because the rim does not look squared off like a proof would.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55869 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this is not a proof.

to the CCF!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sbmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I found that online and its edges are not very sharp either.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20170 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Really great coin but I don't think it's a proof.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1650 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure is a beauty but rims dictate Not a proof
In your pictures they seem to be a bit rounded? Be interesting to find out for sure.

EDIT: Check for die markers:
https://www.lincolncentcollection.c...eristics.php
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
03/08/2021 4:19 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18356 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wishing too much with the new purchase.
I feel absolutely certain that the seller would have known if it is a proof or otherwise.
I agree with the above comments.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a very nice business strike, not a proof unless the die markers match.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

I'm pausing a bit here.

Would you be willing to post better pictures of the obverse and reverse? A full-frame pic of each from a cell phone camera would work. The obverse pics you have posted are not full frame, and are not large enough to show the detail needed. The reverse pic is of the full coin, but is way too small to be clear when it is enlarged.

Detail pics of the following areas would also be helpful:
On the obverse
LIBERTY and the area just below LIBERTY
TRUST
Lincoln's nose and the area just SE of the tip and bottom of the nose
On the reverse
V.D.B.
Top of the right wheat stalk to the "UM" of UNUM

The "missing" 1909 and 1909 VDB proofs have been a mystery for decades. The mintage figures were much higher than the known examples. The second 1909 plain proof die pair, with weaker details, partially answered that mystery.

I really would like to see better pics. I'm not comfortable writing this one off without having a better look at the details.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sbmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sbmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sbmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 639Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05