Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 D Triple Mint Mark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 181Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
55 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi to all. Found this highly circulated 1968 D with a suspicius mint mark. Upon going to higher magnification I could make out three MM one on top of the other. Look at the bottom left. Tough to see and light property, so I took two pics. Let me know your thoughts. Regards.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure but to me it looks like this copper cent took a hit directly on the mint mark at some point in its life during circulation and distorted it. Looks like maybe a large die chip to the left of the mark too.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38550 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see one MM with damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meant to add, GREAT pictures! Makes it so much easier for others to see exactly what the poster is talking about with pictures of that quality.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50184 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In order for a mintmark to be a RPM, there needs to be a spread between the punches. A mintmark can be enlarged and still not show a spread:

This one is not a RPM, no spread is showing of the punches:

Note on this one, they got to close to the digit, then moved it lower and still too close, and then a third location was decided. Thus a 1955-S S/S/S RPM-001 South.

1959-D D/D/D/D S-S-S-N. Note the line on the lower loop. That is the North on the lower loop. 1959-D RPM-009.
So your are seeing that the above item it not showing a mintmark punch spread. But is really contact marks on the mintmark.(Damage is never a plus for a coin)
Note on this one with the 3-D affect.

You can see clearly the two different punches.

Also on the serifs of the mintmarks you can see a split on the edges of the mintmark:

A rotated mintmark:

Look similar to a tilted RPM, but note the upright, with the curve on it. That is called a rotated punch issue.

Also RPMs are in directions:

The tilted are the most common to find and the hardest to identify. To match up a RPM, first consider location as that is the first step. Regardless on how close it looks like a matching RPM, the location is the determining factor. Also on the split serifs, need to also match to the exact same same/angle of the mintmark. A lot involved on determining the correct number. Takes time and patience to determine if they are a match, or not? So I hope this widens the horizons a bit.

CoopHome: RPMs what are they and why is spread so important on a RPM?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/08/2021 1:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I appreciate all comments. Well circulated coin which makes it hard to see.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 181Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05