Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1949 Nickel Near Black Color

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 445Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1278 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  2:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it an error? or some kind of PMD? or is it caused by some other issue? unlikely that it is just simple toning?
Personally, I do not believe it is caused by chemicals and I also do not think, having the coin in hand, that it was buried.
But, who knows?
weight is 4.57 grams

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56029 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly in a fire or similar?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9435 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It didn't look like that when it was struck so it has to be damage of some sort.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38550 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental damage of some sort. Maybe it was in a fire or buried for a time in the ground.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1371 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zonad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XRF it, maybe steel blank?
Edited by Zonad
03/08/2021 4:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1278 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good suggestions, thanks guys.
THE closest XRF machine is about 100KM away. so it will have to wait.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3859 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sewer line find .
The city boys used to bring
all kinds of junk like this to our
Shop when they tore up Victoria.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
529 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cast copy- not nickel ? Magnetic ? Weight ? What does the edge look like ?
Edited by TerryT
03/08/2021 6:44 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely looks like environmental damage to me.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1278 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cast copy- not nickel ? Magnetic ? Weight ? What does the edge look like ?

weight = 4.75 grams
cast copy? NO absolutely no indication anywhere.
Magnetic? Yes
edge: is clean smooth =used

Pacific
I never had the opportunity to see your shop in victoria. Where was it? I normally patronized Ron Fr., Clay, Mike and the Russian,, but there were no deals from him. plus a couple of private guys. got some top stuff from Ron. he was more into stamps.
do you think there will be a show this year?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
529 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I missed seeing the weight in your original post.
Items that are cast can have many tiny dots such as your coin. Cast spelter would have a similar appearance and could turn black.
However, being magnetic and the correct weight confirm it's real and nickel.
That leaves environmental damage - sewer coin or sat in road salt and mud a long time. It's only worth 5 cents so scratch the edge and it should be shiny. Case closed.
Edited by TerryT
03/09/2021 6:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3859 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shop was first on Fort til 91 then on View to 97.
They are trying to get a Fall show together , but
with all the Cov 19 madness who knows .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1278 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacific
that was all before my island time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1278 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacific
that was all before my island time.
Terry
its not for value.. I just have it for some time and had no idea why it was nearly black
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05