Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 Penny Worth Grading?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 275Next Topic  

Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  3:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shane30530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. I would like you opinion on whether this penny is worth grading or not. Also if someone could give me a good general rule to go by when determining to grade or not. Thank you in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
9398 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly NOT worth grading. It would cost way more to have it graded than what it is worth.
I usually go by the rule that unless it is worth at least $150.00, it is not worth the expense of grading.
Why would you want to grade it?
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shane30530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good easy standard to live by. I was asking mostly because of its age and it was found in pocket change and I've never found a coin that old and that nice looking. I was shocked how it made it 60 years without more damage. Thank you for the advice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1257 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally Not worth sending in pennies for grading, and yours has too many distracting marks to get above 62
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55870 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, definitely not worth grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3593 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decent coin for use as an album hole filler. Who knows, it could've been in grandma's sock drawer for 60 years, only to reenter circulation just recently
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cost of getting a coin graded, adding in shipping both ways and insurance, is going to run you between $30 and $50. The variance is largely dependent on how many coins you are having graded, since shipping and insurance are pretty much the same for one coin or 10.

(That's why many people will save up coins to be graded until they have a sizable batch).

So knowing the cost of grading, you should then compare that to the value of the coin, post grading. If you're going to spend $30 to establish the coin is worth $25, that might not be a wise investment.

Some will set a $$ amount on value before grading such as $100 or $150, which seems a little arbitrary to me. There are lots of reason to have a coin graded and not all of them are economic, but being able to do a basic cost/benefit analysis should help with decision making process.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-63 range, as other said, not worth slabbing.

Your coin would have to hit 67 or higher to be worth it:

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...date-rd/2860
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11474 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all the above.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05